Are my fish stunted?...

808_fairladyz

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 19, 2006
Hilo, Hawaii
"Is this fish stunted?", it's such a pretty fish to me i can not recognize it's flaws. "stunted" is a flaw right? Maybe i'm just an idealistic fool to not see it's flaws. I guess i should just discard all such fish so not to take up tank space for the "good" ones. Maybe people should start throwing the handicaped back into their attics so as not to offened the beautiful people. I'm sure that lot's off people will shoot me down and criticize me for my comments, but i honestly got sad seeing some of the comments stated on this tread. Honestly, i just love fish and did not mean to offened anyone with my stated comments. This is just my 15 min. of fame.

808_fairladyz

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 19, 2006
Hilo, Hawaii
Snowflake311;4509286; said:
OK is this Discus Stunted. I got her a few months ago she is about 4" with Tail. 3" with out tail. I have seen her lay eggs too. So she is happy and healthy but is she stunted?

Oh, by the way, stunted or not i thinks it's a beautiful fish.

Lupin

Viviendo la vida loca!
MFK Member
808_fairladyz;4669106; said:
"Is this fish stunted?", it's such a pretty fish to me i can not recognize it's flaws. "stunted" is a flaw right? Maybe i'm just an idealistic fool to not see it's flaws. I guess i should just discard all such fish so not to take up tank space for the "good" ones. Maybe people should start throwing the handicaped back into their attics so as not to offened the beautiful people. I'm sure that lot's off people will shoot me down and criticize me for my comments, but i honestly got sad seeing some of the comments stated on this tread. Honestly, i just love fish and did not mean to offened anyone with my stated comments. This is just my 15 min. of fame.
Stunting is a flaw. And please do not personalize your arguments. We do not take into account what happens between fish and people. They are very different. That is similar to comparing apples and oranges.

Whether an individual wishes to discard stunted fish or not is up to him. We do not generally encourage that and would rather see the fish given the chance to live if it is not in the least bit very vulnerable to several health issues as a result of stunting.

By morality alone however, yes, it is not right but I am basing this on my own personal beliefs that it is not. Sometimes however, I find this rather a necessity. I've bred goldfish and if you have to take into account dealing with dozens of stunted goldfish (as a prime example) with several physical defects, then rather than waste my time to raise them and still cannot profit much because of such defects, euthanasia is an option. However, each person has a choice what to do with his fish.

This topic merely teaches how to prevent stunting especially since there are many who wish to keep discus and do not realize the maintenance involved in keeping these fish. Discus are very specialized and very easily stunted if not given the best conditions possible.

Lupin

Viviendo la vida loca!
MFK Member
Snowflake311;4509286; said:
OK is this Discus Stunted. I got her a few months ago she is about 4" with Tail. 3" with out tail. I have seen her lay eggs too. So she is happy and healthy but is she stunted?

The eye size is disproportionate to body size. Yes, it is stunted unfortunately.

808_fairladyz

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 19, 2006
Hilo, Hawaii
Lupin;4669116; said:
Stunting is a flaw. And please do not personalize your arguments. We do not take into account what happens between fish and people. They are very different. That is similar to comparing apples and oranges.

Whether an individual wishes to discard stunted fish or not is up to him. We do not generally encourage that and would rather see the fish given the chance to live if it is not in the least bit very vulnerable to several health issues as a result of stunting.

By morality alone however, yes, it is not right but I am basing this on my own personal beliefs that it is not. Sometimes however, I find this rather a necessity. I've bred goldfish and if you have to take into account dealing with dozens of stunted goldfish (as a prime example) with several physical defects, then rather than waste my time to raise them and still cannot profit much because of such defects, euthanasia is an option. However, each person has a choice what to do with his fish.

This topic merely teaches how to prevent stunting especially since there are many who wish to keep discus and do not realize the maintenance involved in keeping these fish. Discus are very specialized and very easily stunted if not given the best conditions possible.
"and please do not personalize your arguments"...your right, Personal just doesn't suite me well at all. Now commercialize is definetly how i should define myself as a hobbiest. Sorry for my miss understanding. It wont happen again.

Snowflake311

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 24, 2010
Lake Tahoe, ca
Yup this fish has not grown since I got her a few months ago. I'm pretty sure she was given hormones. So that does not help. BUT she is healthy and happy she lays eggs often. I think she has a nice shape and good color. but she seems to be maxed out at 4"

I think some people are too quick to say fish are stunted. I think the word stunted get used to much. My fish has the large eye and seems to have stoped growing at 4" So yes it is safe to say she is stunted. I think Genetics play a part in "Stunting" a lot of the time. Also like you see my fish she is pretty and healthy but small so not all are sickly and ugly just small.

Reactions: DrownedFishonFire

808_fairladyz

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 19, 2006
Hilo, Hawaii
I was recently told by a trusted friend that when there is multilple Discus in the same aquarium, that the dominant Discus/s emits a growth inhibiting chemical in the water to try to maintain it's size and dominance over other Discus in it's group, hench the importance for frequent and large water changes. I was told that following this water changing regemine helps to keep these chemical to a minimum, allowing other discus to grow out at a more consistant rate. I've been doing 2-3 40% water changes per week since i've gotten them nearly a month ago. I have seen huge differences in the growth and color of my Discus over the same Discus that my LFS still has.
I should add though that i've been using Kent Marine Discus Essential additives, with a steady diet of minced up Hikari Frozen Krill, Hikari Frozen Bloodworms, Hikari Frozen Mysis Shrimp, Hikari Bio-gold Granules, and finely minced up fresh garlic cloves, small amounts 4 times a day. Water temp. stays @ about 87-89 deg, day and night.

Snowflake311

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 24, 2010
Lake Tahoe, ca
well this discus I got was about the same size as she is now when I got her. she is 4" other fish are growing well but her.

I don't think that only the domanite fish gives off a hormon that only effects the other fish. Yes the domanite fish will effect the other growth but in other ways. Like stressing others out or being a food hog and not letting others get their fill. They say all fish give off a growth hormone that can slow and even stop growth BUT there are no real studies on this.

proper care should help them grow. My others are growing fast and well.

nigelchapman

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 5, 2011
chicago
Yes Its really nice pictures he had posted here really good work. I like those fishes, and yes I think they have grown as it deserves so now will not grow any more.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store