Small eyed Gudgeon (Prinobutis macrops)

Friller2009

Aimara
MFK Member
Oct 27, 2021
Australia
So thought i'd do a write up on my Small eyed gudgeon, Prinobutis macrops.
Got this guy ~15 October 2022 at the ANGFA convention. He's currently in a grow out tank and is planned to move into my 110 gallon tank.
He's roughly about 12cm (5Inches?) and only really eats frozen foods such as bloodworms.
He's an awesome little fish, and can't wait to see him grow big. He can potentially reach just shy of a foot.

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
So thought i'd do a write up on my Small eyed gudgeon, Prinobutis macrops.
Got this guy ~15 October 2022 at the ANGFA convention. He's currently in a grow out tank and is planned to move into my 110 gallon tank.
He's roughly about 12cm (5Inches?) and only really eats frozen foods such as bloodworms.
He's an awesome little fish, and can't wait to see him grow big. He can potentially reach just shy of a foot.
Nice reminds me of a sleeper goby.

Reactions: Fallen_Leaves16

Friller2009

Aimara
MFK Member
Oct 27, 2021
Australia
Nice reminds me of a sleeper goby.
Gudgeons are the proper common name for Australian "sleeper Gobys", aka Elotrids. there's a couple where they are sleepers, but Gudgeons are used, even though the original gudgeon (gobio gobio) is a european cyprinid.

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Gudgeons are the proper common name for Australian "sleeper Gobys", aka Elotrids. there's a couple where they are sleepers, but Gudgeons are used, even though the original gudgeon (gobio gobio) is a european cyprinid.
Oh ok didn't know that.

ZainPreston

Feeder Fish
Mar 31, 2023
That's great to hear that you got a Small eyed gudgeon (Prinobutis macrops) at the ANGFA convention and are taking good care of him! These fish are known for their striking appearance and interesting behavior, making them a great addition to any aquarium.
As they are primarily carnivorous fish, it is good to hear that your gudgeon is eating well on frozen foods like bloodworms. As he grows larger, you may also consider offering other frozen or live foods like krill, shrimp, or feeder fish to provide a more varied diet and ensure he is getting all the necessary nutrients.
It's important to note that Small eyed gudgeons can reach a substantial size of up to 30cm (nearly a foot), so it's great that you have plans to move him into a larger tank. As with any fish, providing adequate space and appropriate water parameters is key to their health and well-being.
Keep up the good work and enjoy watching your Small eyed gudgeon grow and thrive in your aquarium!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store