Panamanian Biotope

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
I have found one of the best ways for me to try to maintain my aquariums is by using the biotope concept.
Combining species in this way, assures that the fish come from the same water parameters, such as pH, temp, hardness and flow.
It also sometimes helps in maintaining a less aggressive, and conflicted system, because if they are species found together in nature, it usually suggests they have worked out strategies for coexisting.

In the past I have kept Lake Barumbi mbo and Lake Bermin biotopes of Cameroon in west Africa, Madagascar biotopes, and separate Mexican, and Central American country biotopes.

These days, living, and collecting fish in Panama, it only seems natural to put fish together, that I find togther in the eastern side of the country, where the water is hard, pH is around 8.2, and water temps around 80'F .
In these rivers, I have (so far) only found 3 species of cichlids.
IMG_5956.jpeg
Isthmoheros tuyrense above, Andinoacara coerleopunctatus below.
IMG_6077.jpeg
And Darienheros calobrnse (below)
IMG_0839.jpeg
There are 2 species of Gobies
IMG_3302.jpeg
Awaous banana above,
And Gobiomorus dormitor below.
The Gobiomorus turns out to be one of the apex predators from these rivers, and to maintain a semblance of peace in the community, those caught have been given separate quarters.
IMG_3693.jpeg
Characins are the most common and populous fish in these rivers, and are often caught 50 to 1 compared to non-characins.
At the moment the only representative of Characins in the tank is Ctenolucious ellioti.
IMG_6065.jpeg
Most other Characins such as Cyphocharx, or Tetras have been plagued with Lernaea parasites, so eventually returned to the river
One species of Pleco, Chaetostoma fischeri is commonly caught in the rocky riffles.
IMG_5309.jpeg
Shrimp are also common in these rivers. There are a couple in the tank at the moment, that are hopefully too big to be eaten, yet small enough not to eat the fish.
IMG_6038.jpege6c3eb77-07b1-4926-9be8-807de3140a7f.jpeg.
As you can see above, there is no lack of variety , even though they were all caught in only a single river system.

Last edited:

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
This years late rainy season has finally begun again here in Panama, and because my tanks are outside, this means they get lots of runoff from inundated vegetation that surround the garden situated tanks,
from almost daily, sometimes multiple hour showers.
I encourage it with bamboo pieces placed to help catch water from specific gutter points that leak.
IMG_2066.jpeg
The free no effort water changes, appeal to my sense of laziness, and do the work for me, with a redundant continuous overflow sending excess water from sump to the garden.
IMG_6683.jpegIMG_2606.jpeg
The tannins that leach into the tank off the dry seasons crispy vegetation, change the water from relatively clear, to yellow, or tea brown.
Just a couple days of 6 to 8 hour showers have significantly altered the color tint in the 180.
IMG_6700.jpegIMG_6733.jpeg
I appreciate the anti bacterial properties the tannins impart, although the brown tint can be slightly rritating.
IMG_6701.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: tlindsey
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store