Upgrading Tank Help

Davepel

Exodon
MFK Member
Sep 22, 2021
NJ
Hi All, I am upgrading from a 46 to a 72 gallon tank. Unfortunately the new tank has to be in the same location as the old so I can’t get the new one running without taking down the old tank. How is this plan?

1. Disconnect heaters, filters and light
  2. Drain 30 gallons from current tank into clean 5 gallon bucks
  3. Use a bucket to scoop piranha into 5 gallon bucket
  4. Slide tank and stand out of the way
  5. Move new tank and stand into place
  6. Take substrate, driftwood, plants etc from old tank and move to new
  7. Set up old filters, heater and light on new tank
  8. Add 25 gallons new dechlorinated and conditioned water to new tank. Same temp as old water
  9. Add fluval cycle treatment
  10. Add old water to new tank
  11. Add piranha

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Drain 30 gallons from current tank into clean 5 gallon bucks
No need just fill new aquarium with water from the tap and dose with correct amount of dechlorinator. Try to get the temperature of the tap as close to the old aquarium water.

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Wow that would be substantially easier
I've learned years ago actually when I started joining aquarium forums that there is very little to no beneficial bacteria in old water. The live bacteria are sessile. I personally wouldn't rinse the substrate, ornaments, driftwood or filter biomedia in the filters.

Reactions: Sadrobots

Davepel

Exodon
MFK Member
Sep 22, 2021
NJ
I've learned years ago actually when I started joining aquarium forums that there is very little to no beneficial bacteria in old water. The live bacteria are sessile. I personally wouldn't rinse the substrate, ornaments, driftwood or filter biomedia in the filters.
Thanks for the advice. One more question for you, I currently have a fluval 306, aquatop cf400uv and small internal sponge filter. Water quality is perfect now but should I add another canister or hob?

Reactions: tlindsey

Sadrobots

Candiru
MFK Member
Apr 18, 2021
Thanks for the advice. One more question for you, I currently have a fluval 306, aquatop cf400uv and small internal sponge filter. Water quality is perfect now but should I add another canister or hob?
not trying to butt-in but in my opinion there is never anything wrong with more filtration. if anything you have another source of cycled media for when you have to set a new tank up again. and i absolutely agree with what tlindsey tlindsey said as far as not cleaning anything. dump it all in the new tank and you are set to jet.

Davepel

Exodon
MFK Member
Sep 22, 2021
NJ
not trying to butt-in but in my opinion there is never anything wrong with more filtration. if anything you have another source of cycled media for when you have to set a new tank up again. and i absolutely agree with what tlindsey tlindsey said as far as not cleaning anything. dump it all in the new tank and you are set to jet.
Thanks! All feedback is welcome

Reactions: tlindsey

Fishman Dave

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Nov 14, 2015
West Yorkshire
Personally I would keep 50% of the original tank water.
I never do changes of more than 50% if I can help it and depending how mature a tank is, wouldn’t risk a 100% water change if I didn’t have to, just because of the potential shock or change of conditions.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store