Above the Tavern with Parka!

Parka

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2021
Gwinnett County, Ga.
Wow! what an idea.
I'm glad you like that idea, call it influence or inspiration and looking at duanes duanes water jungles, Oh My! I want my own water jungle. However, I will be using electric lighting because of the basement location. I'm going to be asking a lot of rookie questions, especially substrate, my feeling might be way wrong but I feel like a 'dirted' or soil and sand mixture 4 to 6 inches deep, capped or uncapped, I'm kinda eager AND anxious! I can do all this before I even start the next build...

Yeah, the Pagan ritual this Saturday, I have to tell ya Frass, My Inner Junkie is all kinds of excited about this gathering, and I get it, I understand his zeal for the spirits and whatnot. Me, myself however, I'm WORRIED SICK that I will be expected to disrobe! Being my first Pagan ritual, I'm simply not ready for that but wow, peer pressure is a real thing. Ya see, it is a Fertility ritual called, Beltrane, I just hope I don't have to take my clothes off!

My Inner Junkie thinks he looks like this:
dude looks like a lady.jpg

In real life, this is My Inner Junkie!
My innermost Junkie.jpg

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
Of course, it wouldn't necessarily need to be "fauna-free". You could raise shrimp, scuds, daphnia, maybe tubifex worms and the like. It could be an awesome biological filter.
I stock my refugiums with lots of fauna, the kind that would get eaten in my cichlid tanks.
They help beak down material to useable substances for the plants, eat any food that overflows, and help clear mechanical media of gunk.
IMG_2915.jpegIMG_4289.jpegIMG_6139.jpegIMG_8907.jpeg.

Parka

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2021
Gwinnett County, Ga.
I stock my refugiums with lots of fauna
There's another word for an aquarium set-up that is also water jungle-like, with lots of land type plants growing overhead. I don't recall it, the name. I'm liking the idea of this! I love plants anyway and I have a handful of different water plants in the outdoor eyesore pool and I have a nice order that was s'posed to get here today but it will be another week. I wonder about keeping salamanders and tree frogs in refugium type set-up. Would that be too much fauna?

I really am excited about doing this, can I ask how you or what you would advise for substrate? And if my gut idea is good, it is a sandy soil mixture 4 to 6" deep, would that be good choice?

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
I really am excited about doing this, can I ask how you or what you would advise for substrate? And if my gut idea is good, it is a sandy soil mixture 4 to 6" deep, would that be good choice?
I simply use sand.
As time passes, fish waste, and the normal deterioration of old plant parts, supply the substrate with plenty of organic material.
And because my sumps are outside in the garden, (although I clean some out), I allow leaf littler, and garden flower parts that fall in, to remain.
IMG_5249.jpegIMG_4351.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: Parka

Ogertron3000

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Nov 6, 2017
Australia
Always an interesting but strange read when I drop in on this thread, construction tips, sumps , Goldfish, junkies and nudity.
What more could you need ?

Reactions: Parka

Parka

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2021
Gwinnett County, Ga.
construction tips, sumps , Goldfish, junkies
Mostly Mine! cept the sump, sump ain't mine!

and nudity.
Not MINES!

What more could you need ?
How about a Govt. issued Service Animal? For real. I had qualified years ago but we had two small dogs already but in January after our last dog passed, I went ahead and filled out the forms for a Service Animal from the VA here in Atlanta. I will be receiving him Tomorrow! I know this sounds corny as all get out, however, I am SO GRATEFUL to the VA, oh my. I have fish tank talk too but it's gonna be later. It's about removing all the gravel from Chicago, I no can reach the bottom! Plus I got the Clumsies! I will figure something out... But right now my priorities are my Service Animal and a some training together and can I show pics of him at this thread? I also want to keep it fish tank related. Ok, Good Night!

Parka

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2021
Gwinnett County, Ga.
Please do share pics of the new family member. Service dogs are amazing. Really happy for you!
Okay but there is one caveat. Please Bear WITH me! Because I requested a Guide BEAR... But there is another confusing caveat,

I AM Guide Bear! Hear Me ROAR! Sung to the tune of, Helen Reddy's , 'I am Woman!'

Here are proof pics, I'm gonna be BOSS in the CROSS Walks with my Giude Bear !
Guide Bear!.jpgMy Guide Bear has his drivers license..jpgMe and My Guide Bear!.jpg

In Training.jpg

Attachments

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store