Birding!

jjohnwm

Sausage Finger Spam Slayer
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2019
Manitoba, Canada
Between setting up my stock tanks and generally cleaning up the yard for the coming nice weather, I've been pretty busy...so I took advantage of two days' worth of solid rain to take a break and build some birdhouses. I have boxes already that target particular species...Kestrels, Saw-what Owl, Purple Martin, Northern Flicker, House Wren...but probably my favourites are Eastern Bluebirds and Tree Swallows.

These two species utilize the same type of nestbox; the Tree Swallows are far more common and somewhat more aggressive, and can sometimes usurp a box from a hopeful pair of Bluebirds. But the swallows, while nesting in loose colonies, won't tolerate another of their species within about 20 or 30 yards of their nests, whereas they ignore a nearby Bluebird nest...so by placing the boxes in pairs at fairly close distances, Bluebirds (which won't tolerate others of their own species within about 100 yards of their nests) receive protection from their neighbouring Swallows from other nest competitors.

I had terrific success on my property in Ontario with Bluebird nestboxes, but none so far here in Manitoba. I've had 18 boxes set up for several years now, and have multiple successful nestings of Tree Swallows each year, but Bluebirds remain aloof. I see them every spring...and I watch them inspecting my proffered nestboxes...but they never quite commit. So...I assembled another 14 nestboxes and installed them this morning, taking pains to site them correctly for maximum attractiveness. I even saw a beautiful male Eastern Bluebird while doing so...but he wasn't taking the bait and soon moved on. Fingers crossed! :)

No Tree Swallows this year yet, but I am confident they will be back soon and will be setting up house.

Some of the new offerings:

PXL_20240503_185750079.jpg
PXL_20240503_185525419.jpgPXL_20240503_185853788.jpgPXL_20240503_185328803.jpgPXL_20240503_185437238.jpgPXL_20240503_185410699.jpg

Reactions: tlindsey and RD.

The Masked Shadow

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2020
Southern California (San Diego)
Today we birded along the San Luis Rey River, which my mom worked on for like 8 years. We got 45 birds, including one new species (muscovy x mallard, I don’t care that hybrids don’t officially count as lifers, im counting it as a new species), and some cool escapees including Greylag Geese and…what…a Peacock?! We heard a Peacock probably from someone’s house, but super fun to hear anyway. Also saw a White breasted Nuthatch, which really remind me of the mountains, but they seem to be staying around here year-round, or longer.

Anyway, my mom specializes mostly in vireos, specifically the endangered subspecies of Bell’s Vireo, Least Bells Vireo. She told me that 10 or so years ago she was working for USGS, and while surveyingn Least Bell’s Vireo nests, she and her field partner at the time came across a nest being built by a male Least Bell’s Vireo and a female White-eyes Vireo. To put that in context, White-eyes Vireo range is from Massachussets to Texas, hugging the coast line. The female was very off her normal range - 3 states. Only 8 have been seen in San Diego county since 1969. Anyways, they built their nest, had eggs and babies, and the babies fledged. Heres the full article for people interested.

Reactions: jjohnwm

jjohnwm

Sausage Finger Spam Slayer
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2019
Manitoba, Canada
That is an interesting article; a naturally-occurring hybrid is fascinating, as opposed to one created by throwing together two critters that would never meet in nature.

In Ontario, we had areas that were semi-reliable for locating Lawrence's Warbler, which is a naturally-occurring hybrid between the Blue-winged Warbler and the much rarer Golden-winged Warbler. The Lawrence's was quite variable, but all the best-known forms definitely showed characteristics of both parent species. Apparently the Blue-winged is gradually breeding the Golden-winged out of existence and replacing it. Try as I might, I never did manage to locate and see a Lawrence's...but I once came very close, arriving at a site where the bird had been reported earlier that day, the incomparable Point Pelee National Park.

As I stepped onto the trail leading to the reported spot, I encountered two of the archetypal Blue Haired Little Old Ladies, who were returning to their car having just seen The Bird. They were embroiled in an argument of such venom, such ferocity, such deadly serious intent that I almost feared for my own life.

One of them had seen a Lawrence's once before; the other had just experienced her first sighting. The former had entered the sighting on her Life List, while the latter was vehemently opposed to that; against the rules, don'tcha know...and they were going at it like two male Bettas in a bare 3-gallon tank. I knew them both slightly, having met them several times before at The Point, and one of them spotted me and pointed excitedly down the trail. "Three hundred yards down, take the left fork, go to the big downed tree trunk and then check the left side of the trail, up high" I thanked her and scurried away, but she called after me "Will this be a Lifer for you?"

I nodded and confirmed "It sure will..." and kept going, but she called out "Are you going to count it on your List?"

I definitely didn't want to get caught in that argument...and I fully intended to count the bird if I saw it...so I muttered something without turning or slowing. But I was safe; the other BHLOL piped up "Of course, you must count it! Don't listen to this spiteful Harpy..."

I never saw the bird, but I saw the two of them a couple hours later; they were behaving like close, life-long friends...which of course they were. :)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store