Goonch Catfish (Bagarius) ID and Care Guide 1.01

Acidbyt

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Oct 22, 2020
Personally I would give him a good current with a cave/ rock that blocked the current he can get behind “out of the flow “ too. However, imo it’s more the oxygen content rather than just the flow.
ok hello guys im very very new to bagarius keeping and i picked up a goonch about 3.5inches , 3 days ago.Most of the people involved in the native fishkeeping side of the hobby here(North India) say that baby goonch are very hard to care for and usually die. There is little to no info about any species or anything like that. I was also told that baby goonch dont eat in captivity....mine has been eating live earthworms since the very second day,from your other threads i found out that goonch lying around like a rock not doing anything is probably a healthy goonch, so i separated it (it was swimming too much aimlessly in the other tank) and it only eats after i turn lights off. I am certain it has been eating as i have purposefully kept a barebottom tank to make sure of what it eats or doesnt eat. I willl be posting pictures soon pls help identify it.

Acidbyt

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Oct 22, 2020
ok hello guys im very very new to bagarius keeping and i picked up a goonch about 3.5inches , 3 days ago.Most of the people involved in the native fishkeeping side of the hobby here(North India) say that baby goonch are very hard to care for and usually die. There is little to no info about any species or anything like that. I was also told that baby goonch dont eat in captivity....mine has been eating live earthworms since the very second day,from your other threads i found out that goonch lying around like a rock not doing anything is probably a healthy goonch, so i separated it (it was swimming too much aimlessly in the other tank) and it only eats after i turn lights off. I am certain it has been eating as i have purposefully kept a barebottom tank to make sure of what it eats or doesnt eat. I willl be posting pictures soon pls help identify it.
20240513_171059.jpg20240513_171055.jpg

Simonas

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Oct 24, 2008
Wirral, UK
what a cool little goonch. I know mine is pretty static and Ive had it almost 2 years. Easy to feed I just put food near it and it just goes for it. I have also had a period of time when it didnt eat for a month or so but now its just regular everytime I remember to feed it

Never swims about and stays in the same corner of the tank

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store