New Setup New Start

Ogertron3000

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Nov 6, 2017
Australia
Since collecting where you live (a hop skip and jump from Antarctica) sounds more complicated than I first thought of because of Australia's vastness),
and that your water and tank size sounds perfect to me, for many dwarf Amazonians , or (if available to you) species from the soft waters of Borneo.
Seeing those parameters, and tank size, I'd consider some of the more exotic wild type mouth brooding Betta species, using some of the endemic Rasboras as dithers.
https://hosting.photobucket.com/alb...sc243ccad.jpg?width=320&height=320&fit=bounds,
Betta albimarginatta above, Betta edithae below
And with soft water species from biotopes like that, I have found leaf littler adds a interesting twist to a proper biotope.
Its not just the distances involved its also the different laws in each state regarding catching wild fish and transporting them from state to state. They are all different and confusing but if you make a mistake the fines are huge. One example are Koi are illegal here in Victoria but in the next state north, New south wales they are for sale in every pet shop. I go there for work a lot so could quite easily buy some and sneak them down if i wanted to.
I do like those bettas in the pics, i have seen them or something similar years ago so might make some enquiries, most shops are well stocked with basic fish, apparently the cost of living increases we are going through in australia arent encouraging people to keep fish at the moment so no LFS is keeping anything too unusual or anything that wont move quickly.

Oh wow, ya that might be a little too soft for tangs.
Yeah, i think so too. It can be done but its a bit more work and extra costs than i would like at the moment.
I am going through a very indecisive phase, every day i decide on a new fish and then change my mind when i wake up the next morning!

Reactions: SilverArowanaBoi

Joshuakahan

Banned
MFK Member
Jul 9, 2019
Its not just the distances involved its also the different laws in each state regarding catching wild fish and transporting them from state to state. They are all different and confusing but if you make a mistake the fines are huge. One example are Koi are illegal here in Victoria but in the next state north, New south wales they are for sale in every pet shop. I go there for work a lot so could quite easily buy some and sneak them down if i wanted to.
I do like those bettas in the pics, i have seen them or something similar years ago so might make some enquiries, most shops are well stocked with basic fish, apparently the cost of living increases we are going through in australia arent encouraging people to keep fish at the moment so no LFS is keeping anything too unusual or anything that wont move quickly.

Yeah, i think so too. It can be done but its a bit more work and extra costs than i would like at the moment.
I am going through a very indecisive phase, every day i decide on a new fish and then change my mind when i wake up the next morning!
Didn’t you say you like multispinosa? A pair of those with a schooling fish would be cool

Ogertron3000

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Nov 6, 2017
Australia
Didn’t you say you like multispinosa? A pair of those with a schooling fish would be cool
I originally wanted them when i set the tank up 4 years ago, im still leaning that way. A pair of multispinosa and a decent school of swordtails would be nice.
Rainbows arent super common at the moment but they are available so will see if theres any around in the shops,
My latest thought was very different, a coldwater setup with a big school of danios and some red head oranda goldfish. I havent had goldfish since the 90s so would be a blast from the past for sure. I might get bored with them but you can get a good price for large ones so could potentially make a profit.
Who knows, tomorrow i will probably think axolotls would be fun...........

Joshuakahan

Banned
MFK Member
Jul 9, 2019
I originally wanted them when i set the tank up 4 years ago, im still leaning that way. A pair of multispinosa and a decent school of swordtails would be nice.
Rainbows arent super common at the moment but they are available so will see if theres any around in the shops,
My latest thought was very different, a coldwater setup with a big school of danios and some red head oranda goldfish. I havent had goldfish since the 90s so would be a blast from the past for sure. I might get bored with them but you can get a good price for large ones so could potentially make a profit.
Who knows, tomorrow i will probably think axolotls would be fun...........
I’m where you are as far as being indecisive every time I start a new tank lol
What works for me is once something peaks my interest ( something I know I can care for) I add to cart and check out immediately. Otherwise I’ll flip flop for years. I say just pull the trigger on the multispinosa, don’t think, just do it.

Reactions: Ogertron3000

Ogertron3000

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Nov 6, 2017
Australia
I’m where you are as far as being indecisive every time I start a new tank lol
What works for me is once something peaks my interest ( something I know I can care for) I add to cart and check out immediately. Otherwise I’ll flip flop for years. I say just pull the trigger on the multispinosa, don’t think, just do it.
I think you are right, im 99% sold on the multispinosa, since they were what i wanted 4 years ago i should fulfil my original dream for the tank.
Probably i will start with the livebearers just to get some action happening and track down the cichlids over the next few weeks.

Don't you guys get foot long crayfish down there? That would be a fun project IMO
We do, we call them yabbies here, pretty tasty too.
I did consider some of the blue ones but as the tank is in the living room it has to have a bit of "prettiness" to keep the wife happy.
Thats why i think the rainbow cichlids and swordtails will be good, they look nice, cichlids are intersting for me and all the fish should breed which will be good for my 8 year old kid to see.

Ogertron3000

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Nov 6, 2017
Australia
Today one of my kids friends came around, when her parents dropped her off they freaked out over the “huge” fish tank in the living room. The mum was genuinely shocked and said she had never seen such a big tank and couldn’t imagine what sort of fish would need such a “giant” tank, I was very amused as it’s only a 3 foot 40G and frustratingly small for me as I imagine it would be for most of you guys reading this.
I was going to show them some of the tanks on here but didn’t think they needed an introduction to monster fishkeeping at the moment.
Hopefully when I have time and money and get a 6x2x2 and fill it with angels they will still visit and their minds will be blown.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store