Severum Fry Growth rate

fishguy1978

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Mar 30, 2020
Washington
I would recommend 20% daily. While not very big you have a significant bioload in that tank.i would also recommend setting up a separate fry tank.

ryansmith83

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 2, 2008
Florida
I do large water changes on fry but that’s because I’m raising large spawns (200 - 300) in relatively small tanks with three daily brine feedings. A few 50% changes a week would probably be adequate, especially if you only have a small number of fry. But just keep in mind that as they grow, they are putting off more waste and ammonia, and the water quality deteriorates faster.

Also remember that water changes aren’t just to remove bad things like dissolved organics which can negatively impact the fry development, but it’s to re-add things like calcium and magnesium which lots of growing baby fish deplete from the water column. I see a ton of juvenile South American cichlids with fin and bone deformities, and it’s because they are raised in water that is mineral-poor or that lacked proper clean water.

Luckily Heros are very forgiving (well, except H. severus but that’s another story). They are usually not fussy about water so long as it’s clean, and they are easy feeders and easy to convert from brine to dried foods once they get to about 6 - 8 weeks old.

Aidan.Kilgore02

Exodon
MFK Member
Jun 11, 2021
I do large water changes on fry but that’s because I’m raising large spawns (200 - 300) in relatively small tanks with three daily brine feedings. A few 50% changes a week would probably be adequate, especially if you only have a small number of fry. But just keep in mind that as they grow, they are putting off more waste and ammonia, and the water quality deteriorates faster.

Also remember that water changes aren’t just to remove bad things like dissolved organics which can negatively impact the fry development, but it’s to re-add things like calcium and magnesium which lots of growing baby fish deplete from the water column. I see a ton of juvenile South American cichlids with fin and bone deformities, and it’s because they are raised in water that is mineral-poor or that lacked proper clean water.
Good to know, I will adjust my water change schedule accordingly.

Reactions: tlindsey

Aidan.Kilgore02

Exodon
MFK Member
Jun 11, 2021

Thank you for the input!

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee

Agree with Ryan,
I try to do 30-40% of the tanks volume, daily water changes on fry tanks
I also allow lots of algae to grow for grazing, and try to feed 4 to 5 small meals per day.

Aidan.Kilgore02

Exodon
MFK Member
Jun 11, 2021
Hey there everyone, sorry about the long hiatus, just been very busy but thought I'd update on the babies! I ended up setting up a seperate fry tank not too long after I stopped posting and upped my water changes. Fry are thriving and getting closer to selling size (largest ones are about 1 and a half inches now, the average is right around an inch or so) and they are phenomenal little eaters. Have them on a super varied diet. Just out of curiosity, can anyone see if any seem like they might end up being golds or a solid mix of the parents coloration? I know the gold is a recessive gene, but with tank bred lines my turquoise could very well have it haha (I'll try to get better pictures as there's a TON of variety already in the markings and color of the babies, some are super light with little to no striping which I hope are golds, some are already turning a dark green, etc.). Either way, loving how they're progressing.

Reactions: fishguy1978

Mswhiskersandtails

Feeder Fish
Sep 19, 2023
Hi! I know it’s been a long time since your post but could you update us on what the fry ended up being (color, pattern)? I currently have a pair of severums (gold and blue face green) that are breeding 2 to 3 times/month 😅
I have two sets of fry in a separate thank, the first is 2-3 weeks and the other is 1 week and was wondering what it will look like.
I added a picture of the parents so you can have an ideia.

Reactions: tlindsey
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store