What are is the rarest bichir out of mokelembe, lapradai, teuglsi, and ansorgii

Hao

The Ancient
MFK Member
Oct 17, 2008
If I had to be honest. None of those species are rare. The species you listed are either readily available to order from Africa (wild caught) or mass bred in Indonesia already (captive bred).

Reactions: tlindsey

Caveden

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 21, 2020
what bichir species would you say are rare?(other than polypterus polypterus)
Wouldn’t say pbb are rare, they are captive bred in mass now. It depends on which country you are located as well. However I would say the more uncommon ones you find in your local LFS would be teugelsi.
If I were to go by rarity in bichirs, would be the location at which the WC bichirs are found from. Example “lake turkana” where the fishing for these bichirs has become more restricted and you rarely see them.

Hao

The Ancient
MFK Member
Oct 17, 2008
what bichir species would you say are rare?(other than polypterus polypterus)
None of the known species are rare.
The rarest "species" is probably the Polypterus sp. "Dabola" (undescribed species). You don't see those too often. As for rarest variant, it would be Polypterus bichir from Lake Turkana (PBB). Any species of wild caught color morph (leucistic, xanthic, albino, etc) bichir would be considered rare too.

Cal Amari

Piranha
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2023
You should consider which one you find most appealing in coloration, size, bahavior etc. If rarity is your only mission then just wildly overpay and you can brag you have the most expensive bichir.

Hao

The Ancient
MFK Member
Oct 17, 2008
None of the known species are rare.
The rarest "species" is probably the Polypterus sp. "Dabola" (undescribed species). You don't see those too often. As for rarest variant, it would be Polypterus bichir from Lake Turkana (PBB). Any species of wild caught color morph (leucistic, xanthic, albino, etc) bichir would be considered rare too.
Oh forgot to add, I guess an abnormally large size (bigger than largest size recorded) would be considered rare as well. For example: 40"+ Congicus, 20"+ Senegalus, 30"+ Ornatipinnis, etc.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store