Update on Bichir and Pike compatability

Colby Webre

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 6, 2022
I have a 125 and have had my tank sectioned in half for months in fear of my Ornate Bichir possibly eating my zebra pike cichlid (very expensive loll). My bichir is only getting wider and longer, probably at the 15-16 inch mark and my pike is only around 7-7.5 inches. Should I look at getting rid of the bichir? (If anyone would like him for free I live in SW Florida) I fear that he will forever be too big and always a risk to have in my aquarium. What do you monster fish keepers recommend. I also want to add geophagus and the bichir also steals all my pleco's food.

beau1990

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 28, 2018
Stanford Kentucky
Sounds like it’s time to move in a new direction with the tank. at 15-16” he can definitely get that pike down no problem ornates are pretty aggressive as far as polys go so yea I’d suggest rehoming him

dmyersWv

Piranha
MFK Member
Dec 28, 2022
I agree that the pike will become food at some point. My Ornate always tries to eat any tankmates. He/She is a pig and bites first and then figures out if it can be swallowed.

Colby Webre

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 6, 2022
I completely agree with yall, he has tried to bite my plecos tail and even attacks my airstone that I put in the water sometimes. Hes outta here.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store