FW Sting Ray in Texas???????????

TankBuster

" I feel violated "
MFK Member
Feb 19, 2006
Glendora, Ca
Ok, there is a very popular lfs out here that is selling a freshwater ray. What gives? I thought they were illegal here.

armac

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2005
South Texas
freshwater?

Miles

Stingray King
MFK Member
Jul 2, 2005
Spokane, WA
Only if you get caught.. :grinno:

Often times they will bring in the St. Johns River Atlantic stingrays labeled as a SW species but in all actuality they keep them in complete FW the entire time..

If its a South American species, someone is breaking the rules.. :) I will often see pet stores mis-label them on purpose to avoid problems.. One person had them labeled as "FW Whiptail Flounder" ..

TankBuster

" I feel violated "
MFK Member
Feb 19, 2006
Glendora, Ca
Well I just called the place and talked to a guy there and he thought they were illegal also and talked to management about it and the managers said they were fine to sell now. This is definately freshwater, almost lookks like a histrix but not much of a pattern at all. This place isnt the kind you can just get away with selling illegal fish. Its big, popular and all walks of life shop there, not a petco or petsmart, it is a lfs. This boggles my mind. I will go buy it if it is legal. They only want $175.00 for it and it is about 12 inches. Good size but, it keeps curling its front up alot. Like its sniffing something above it. What does this tell you about its health? Or is that common. The only time I saw that was when mine died.

TankBuster

" I feel violated "
MFK Member
Feb 19, 2006
Glendora, Ca
Thats what Im waiting on, the guy with all the info on it will be in tomorrow morning. It came in from someone that was moving and gave the ray to this place.

Zoodiver

As seen on TV
MFK Member
Aug 22, 2005
South FL
He's not telling you the truth. Freshwater rays are ALL illegal in Texas. There are a lot of places that try and sell them. It's pretty sad.

TankBuster

" I feel violated "
MFK Member
Feb 19, 2006
Glendora, Ca
Ok well I just got off the phone with them and they said right now they are not illegal and the name of it is D.Sobini. WTF I never heard of one of those. Anyone here heard of it? I know they have to be illegal here but I just want to know WTF, know what I mean?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store