Red spotted variant of Channa asiatica

stackdeck

Gambusia
MFK Member
Sep 27, 2010
Singapore
Can't be sure where this one was from. TGM tells me that the red spotted variants are native to Japan, and this one was a contaminant among normal looking C.asiatica.

Jaycee

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 17, 2010
Canada
Very nice looking Channa :)

I would imagine the care, water params etc. for this particular variant is universal among all asiatica.

Brucki

Gambusia
MFK Member
Hi,

But as this speciemen looks so different to the "normal" asiatica, it coukld be a new species, or a an asiatica variant on its evolutional way to become a new species.
The headshape, and some other things look so different to the "normal" asiatica.

Very interesting and excitinig !!

PhullTank57

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Feb 7, 2005
The Next Level
www.youtube.com
But as this speciemen looks so different to the "normal" asiatica,,, The headshape, and some other things look so different to the "normal" asiatica.
I also noticed some different charactoristics, as well... mainly the headshape.

tokyogasmask

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 1, 2009
Japan
Hi.
Sorry I haven't replied here Stackdeck!

What a gorgeous Channa!
The Asiatica we get wild here in Japan look very similar, but usually have white spotting along with the red.

Your fish looks very special indeed. Could be a new morph, or an oddball offspring, but either way very special.

Keep us updated!

Far2lively

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 4, 2012
London, England
Looks kool!!! maby try and breed it with a normal asiatica?? may be a silly suggestion lol

stackdeck

Gambusia
MFK Member
Sep 27, 2010
Singapore
Thanks for the feedback. There were originally two from the batch, but the larger apparently more beautiful specimen died not too long ago.It oddly prefers bogwood much more than plants and I think I'll be adding in a few more pieces for it's comfort.This one is now hitting 12''.

Here are a few more pics, it adopts a dark green sheen to it when it's comfortable.

DSC_0033.JPG

DSC_0037.JPG

DSC_0045.JPG

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store