LET'S SEE THOSE TANKS!!

iloveyouDIE

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 29, 2010
Philadelphia
This is the tank when we first moved them in. Feeders were just a treat to let them get used to it.

Also a closeup of one of our three from the other day. I just figured out one is female, but this is not her. The intensity of their red seems to deepen during different times of the day (almost like clockwork).

Hoping to add 2 more to the shoal!

PTANK.jpg

PIRANHA.jpg

BigShawn

Piranha
MFK Member
Dec 21, 2005
Ohio
iloveyouDIE;3845391; said:
This is the tank when we first moved them in. Feeders were just a treat to let them get used to it.

Also a closeup of one of our three from the other day. I just figured out one is female, but this is not her. The intensity of their red seems to deepen during different times of the day (almost like clockwork).

Hoping to add 2 more to the shoal!

How do you know if the piranha your talking about is female or not?????

iloveyouDIE

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 29, 2010
Philadelphia
Well I have another thread somewhere around here where we were discussing it. I was told and also read that when reaching maturity the females will get thicker bodies and bulges where they are holding their eggs, also develop darker markings (even black).

After owning these 3 piranhas for quite a while, one of them has started to show ALL of those things. Significantly more bulge and a darker line has appeared around the jaw.

I just sort of assumed since it fit the given criteria..:confused:

The other two have no really changed, appearance wise, at all.

Edit: Link to other thread http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=303786

jp80911

Dovii
MFK Member
Mar 7, 2008
NJ
iloveyouDIE;3846319; said:
Well I have another thread somewhere around here where we were discussing it. I was told and also read that when reaching maturity the females will get thicker bodies and bulges where they are holding their eggs, also develop darker markings (even black).

After owning these 3 piranhas for quite a while, one of them has started to show ALL of those things. Significantly more bulge and a darker line has appeared around the jaw.

I just sort of assumed since it fit the given criteria..:confused:

The other two have no really changed, appearance wise, at all.

Edit: Link to other thread http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=303786
when rbps are ready to breed both male and female will get dark, not just female. when it comes to caribes, they could be completely black. the thickness may caused by other factors such as food intake amount and genetic, etc. in general if you have a breeding pair that the female will be thicker than male but in a shoal the thicker fish doesn't automatically make it a female.
the only ways to be certain that the female is indeed a female is either watch it lay eggs or cut it open to see if it has female organs.

BigShawn

Piranha
MFK Member
Dec 21, 2005
Ohio
jp80911;3848016; said:
when rbps are ready to breed both male and female will get dark, not just female. when it comes to caribes, they could be completely black. the thickness may caused by other factors such as food intake amount and genetic, etc. in general if you have a breeding pair that the female will be thicker than male but in a shoal the thicker fish doesn't automatically make it a female.
the only ways to be certain that the female is indeed a female is either watch it lay eggs or cut it open to see if it has female organs.

took the words right out of my mouth...........

iloveyouDIE

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 29, 2010
Philadelphia
Well considering I name them.. I think I'll just call it a girl with all disregard for the ACTUAL sex.

Its not like they are correcting me.

tellemuno

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Oct 29, 2009
Detroit, MI
Aquarium Stock Includes:

1.) 8 inch Blue Diamond Rhom in 150g tank.

2.) 13 inch Black Rhom in 220g tank.

3.) 16 Red Belly Piranha in 200g tank.

4.) (6) 2-3 inch Gold Piranha in 125g tank.

5.) BONUS: (1) 90g and (1) 50g tank. (Have not decided what to do with
those yet.)

IMG_0758.JPG

IMG_0759.JPG

IMG_0760.JPG

IMG_0762.JPG

IMG_0763.JPG

IMG_0764.JPG

IMG_0765.JPG

IMG_0766.JPG

IMG_0767.JPG

IMG_0768.JPG

IMG_0769.JPG

IMG_0770.JPG

IMG_0772.JPG

IMG_0773.JPG

IMG_0774.JPG

Reactions: BigShawn

jp80911

Dovii
MFK Member
Mar 7, 2008
NJ
you can use one of the tanks for wolf fish :) and the other one for a true spilo

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store