what's your worst purchase

IvyAlyse

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 11, 2011
Cheney, WA
When I was first getting into fish keeping I bought a dragon fish. I did no research, had no idea what brackish water was, poor guy didn't last very long.

TPL999

Feeder Fish
Feb 20, 2011
California
I bought a $125 dollar Emperor angel from a hole in the wall fish store in san francisco and two weeks later killed all my fish because it was infested with ick.:(

AudriSampson

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 10, 2011
Danville, IL
Mine was a purchase/trade. When I lived in Baltimore Md I fell in love with Lake Tanganiykan cichlids. The Lfs really valued them but over the course of a year or so I had an amazing 55 gallon biotype tank going with about 6 different Bricardi varients, a 7 stripe frontosa, some yellow and orange Lulepies, several julies and a Tanganiykan banded eel. Things were great till I saw a picture of a Purple Haze Frontosa. You know how it goes you see the picture and you got to have the fish. Soon after I found a mid size one at a LFS for 300.00. I had to have it!!! Impulsively I made a cash trade deal with the LFS that cleaned me out of most of my Tans with me only keeping the Brichardi's and the eel. My ex screamed her head off that I was making a bad deal for me but I still did it. I proudly brought the Frontosa home, acclimated him and went to bed. The next morning I got off from work and it had jumped out from the back of the hood and died on the floor.

The second biggest mistake came about 4 months afterwards. I was moving from Baltimore to my current home here in IL. Since my entire family was moving my dad and I pitched in together and paid a LFS to box and prep our fish for shipping. While they were going through the bags and repacking them they found my Banded eel. The employee called the owner over and the owner immediately offerend me 200.00 in cash for the fish. (I paid 65.00) He also tried to explain to me how fragile a F0 fish is with drastic water changes such as he will experience moving to the midwest. Being a bit arrogant I blew him off and turned down the deal. Needless to say the eel made the trip and was alive when I set up the tank here in Danville, but within hours he and every other Tanganykan I had died. It turns out in small town Midwest all the water is from farm run-off and most of the farmers had just fertilized their land. Poor eel, I loved it to death only to kill it in a bath of chloramines and fertilizer water :(

growthembigger

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 23, 2011
Texas
fiddler crabs suck! my wife thought they were cute and wanted to add one to our tank.......thts the last time i saw him. he just hides all the time, i guess my oscars scare him :)

Calihawk

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 15, 2010
Bought a pair of Breeding GT, awesome colors and bloodline. Male jumped to his DEATH overnight.

Kimosobey

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 26, 2011
Tehachapi, CA
got two convicts in a 75 gal with a oscar and they had fry every freakin month and hassle to deal with and they would tear up my oscars fins): so i let them go in a local lake

piranhaman00

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 15, 2009
Wisconsin
got two convicts in a 75 gal with a oscar and they had fry every freakin month and hassle to deal with and they would tear up my oscars fins): so i let them go in a local lake
Oh ****...bad idea to say here buddy....DONT RELEASE FISH

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store