alligator gar size

headbanger_jib

Doomsday Device
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Nov 12, 2007
india
standard dimension. 6x2x2. Look on Ontario kijiji I believe they are still up for sale
Wouldn't that be a small tank for a 28" fish, let alone two fish at 28"

Reactions: Lepisosteus

headbanger_jib

Doomsday Device
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Nov 12, 2007
india
it is a very small tank but it happens.
I doubt you can grow fish faster in a small tank, especially when you're trying to grow a fish to a size it actually reaches in 4-5 years, in a single year

vincentwugwg

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Oct 22, 2013
New York Mets
its not a shot neither was posted trying to insult or be rude

And about all my tanks, I think I've enough big tanks and ponds to even take a swim in them.

But that doesn't make me right or wrong, vincentwugwg vincentwugwg , now that I read the post again, I apologize, but I don't believe about the 3' A. Spatula in an year.
My gars are a solid 32 inches.. maybe more but the last time I measured the biggest one 3 months ago it was already 32 inches. Here is a video of them in a 10ft fiberglass tub. If I remember correctly a few of my 9 inch gars hit 18-19 inches in the first 3 months of me having them. I believe they would have grown bigger if I didn't move them around so many times the past year (moved 5 times)
Is that your thesis, Vincent?
No sir, it's not my thesis.

vincentwugwg

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Oct 22, 2013
New York Mets
its not a shot neither was posted trying to insult or be rude

And about all my tanks, I think I've enough big tanks and ponds to even take a swim in them.

But that doesn't make me right or wrong, vincentwugwg vincentwugwg , now that I read the post again, I apologize, but I don't believe about the 3' A. Spatula in an year.
And here is a video of the same gars when I first got them. The gars were roughly 9 inches. They appear around the 2:19 mark of the video

Here is a 2nd video of the same gars less than 2 months later.. the bigger ones are 18 inches ++ the tank is a standard 8x3x3 540 gallons

Reactions: thebiggerthebetter

vincentwugwg

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Oct 22, 2013
New York Mets
I made the comment of my biggest gator gar being 32 inch+ 3 months ago.. here is a video of them 4 months ago.. biggest ones around 30 inches. I do believe that the bigger ones I have now would have hit the 3ft mark if I had continued to feed them daily. They are fed less now and are fed every other day. I am waiting on my 19x8x3.5 tanks to arrive and get setup before I can feed freely again. I am told once they hit the 3ft mark their growth slows down. My cousin has a 100cm+ gar but it took him 6 years.. I believe the tank housing his gar is 8x5x3tall

Reactions: thebiggerthebetter

wednesday13

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2008
The deep south
crickets.... well done Vince! can't even be jealous those plattys are so beautiful :) ... super fatty and look to be in top notch shape. The reg gator that pops up looks like a glutton lol...i love it.... I have some 4-5 yr old gators... 2 are still 24" ive had from 4" and 12" and one is 28-30" i aquired at the same size.
i think the debate comes down to food intake and space... also agree moving them around alot prob affects the growth rates. Vince clearly feeds a generous amt. of food, it shows, and they grow lol... id wager general pop, including myself arent feeding enough or didnt feed enough during the juvi period resulting in smaller fish at older ages. Starting them out in large tanks 300-500+gal is also a big factor. ive grown out many large catfish in my years and the same can be said for growth rates. for example a typical rtc will hit 18" in he first year in aquaria... put it in a 500-1000gal from the start and ull easily obtain 30" in year 1 .

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store