Taking The Long Route - Help Please

Kittiee Katt

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Aug 1, 2015
My House!
Hi all, my friend is setting up a 250ltr pond on her deck (fully enclosed) and is having trouble cycling it. She originally asked if she could borrow some of my goldfish to cycle it and when I said "no!" she decided to use cheap fish food to cycle it (clear ammonia doesn't seem to exist down here).

Well its been "cycling" for almost three months now with no nitrate showing whatsoever. The ammonia is off the charts, the nitrite is off the charts but still no nitrate.

According to her log book (thank god she listened when I told her to keep one) the ammonia started showing at about 2 weeks into the "cycle", the nitrite started showing about a month after that, its been almost a month an a half since the first nitrite reading and still no nitrate at all.

Its winter here and I did tell her that it might take longer to cycle in cold weather, but three months seems a little long? She won't buy any bottled bacteria for it because she's a cheap skate and I don't know what else to tell her.

So my questions are:
1. Is it normal for a pond to take this long to cycle in cold weather? Its been below 15°c for most of winter.

2. Is there anything she can do to speed it up besides buying bottled bacteria? I'm sick of the daily texts complaining that nothing's changed.

3. If I take some substrate from my goldfish's tank will the change in temperature (about 5°c drop) kill the bb on it?

4. Assuming it can survive the temperature swing, will the high amount of ammonia and nitrite in the water kill the established bb on my substrate? Or will it just start consuming it?

Thanks in advance for any help. :)

matthewr262

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 21, 2015
Willowick. OH
I would wait for spring. Do a big water change, get cheap feeder goldfish to cycle it. Adding your gravel will definitely help. If there is no fish or bacteria additive to introduce a significant amount of BB to the media it's really tough to start the cycling process.

Kittiee Katt

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Aug 1, 2015
My House!
I would wait for spring. Do a big water change, get cheap feeder goldfish to cycle it. Adding your gravel will definitely help. If there is no fish or bacteria additive to introduce a significant amount of BB to the media it's really tough to start the cycling process.
Yeah I've never done a complete fishless cycle only semi fishless (feeding my goldfish, adding prime to cycling tank then moving goldfish into said tank until they poop then putting them back in their tank) so I wasn't sure how long it should be taking. I can tell her to wait until the weather warms up but she ain't guna like it lol.

If I add my gravel now (I should say tomorrow), will the bb die on it? I just want to give her something to shut her up that isn't my goldfish. As horrible as that may sound. :)

Thank you for the reply.

predatorkeeper87

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2014
pennsylvania
I doubt its the weather, fishless cycling takes for-friggin'-ever. tell her to maybe not be a cheapskate and buy the bottled bacteria. one bottle will at least give the pond some of the nitrifying bacteria needed to start a colony without it having to materialize on its own.

Chucking your substrate into the pond would probably have a similar effect. The point of the bacteria is to consume ammonia and nitrite, it won't harm them lol, its like you walking into an endless buffet lol.

Also you guys can text over there? I figured you would be banging on trees to communicate! haha jk!

Reactions: Deadliestviper7

Kittiee Katt

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Aug 1, 2015
My House!
I doubt its the weather, fishless cycling takes for-friggin'-ever. tell her to maybe not be a cheapskate and buy the bottled bacteria. one bottle will at least give the pond some of the nitrifying bacteria needed to start a colony without it having to materialize on its own.

Chucking your substrate into the pond would probably have a similar effect. The point of the bacteria is to consume ammonia and nitrite, it won't harm them lol, its like you walking into an endless buffet lol.

Also you guys can text over there? I figured you would be banging on trees to communicate! haha jk!
I was going to post something else but it might get me banned (could be considered racest by closed minded peoples) so I won't say what I was going to... :p

Of course we bloody text, we're Australian not ape-stralian haha.

And if I can get her to buy anything else that's not oranda goldfish (what she wants in the pond) I think I'd deserve a medal. She was stubborn in high school and its only gotten worse as she's grown up.

predatorkeeper87

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2014
pennsylvania
I was going to post something else but it might get me banned (could be considered racest by closed minded peoples) so I won't say what I was going to... :p

Of course we bloody text, we're Australian not ape-stralian haha.

And if I can get her to buy anything else that's not oranda goldfish (what she wants in the pond) I think I'd deserve a medal. She was stubborn in high school and its only gotten worse as she's grown up.
I assumed you were all still primal since everything on your island can kill you...
haha

Kittiee Katt

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Aug 1, 2015
My House!
I assumed you were all still primal since everything on your island can kill you...
haha
Using that logic shouldn't the fact that we're still alive tell you that we have SOME technology at least? You try surviving on this continent without being able to call an ambulance lol.

PYRU

Probation Member
Probation Member
Apr 8, 2015
SE
Smoke signals and digideroos

And apparently making an animal stare at your hang tin hand signal will put it in a trance according to this documentary (croc Dundee) I watched.

Reactions: predatorkeeper87

predatorkeeper87

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2014
pennsylvania
Using that logic shouldn't the fact that we're still alive tell you that we have SOME technology at least? You try surviving on this continent without being able to call an ambulance lol.
that's my point! yal a bunch a bush folk! hahaha. you don't need phones! or ambulances!

Kittiee Katt

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Aug 1, 2015
My House!
Smoke signals and digideroos

And apparently making an animal stare at your hang tin hand signal will put it in a trance according to this documentary (croc Dundee) I watched.
Bahahahaha!!!!! That's gota be the funniest thing I've read all day! :D

Although just to be a buzz kill (of the educational kind) in most (or all, not sure exactly) aboriginal cultures the women aren't allowed to play the didgeridoo. Its a mans job to blow the wood ;)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store