Osphronemus septemfasciatus : King of the Giant Gourami

SourAngelfish

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2021
I got one from Global about a week ago. From reading on the internet, the pattern can change similar to a tigrinus.
Hmmmm I’ve yet to see that. Do you have any pictures of yours? Males typically get a full red color while females keep their stripes

Odo

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 4, 2008
Northern Virginia
Hmmmm I’ve yet to see that. Do you have any pictures of yours? Males typically get a full red color while females keep their stripes
Yep, that was just what I read on the internet while trying to find out more about the species.. I think mine is too small to sex (and the photos aren’t great), but please lmk what you think (if possible)

F70E6B98-3256-40CC-8001-92CEB9026BC8.jpeg

71586472-B1FB-48A7-A466-C6E32A37B193.jpeg

Odo

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 4, 2008
Northern Virginia
Yes I would say too young to sex, but beautiful fish. tell me how he does with the others, mine is now isolated as it began attacking tankmates
it’s only been 7-10 days and s/he is probably the smallest of the fish in the tank along with some of the loaches.. I haven’t seen him/her be aggressive to any of the fish. I’ve actually taken two other fish out (parrot cichlid andOsphronemus goramy) b/c they were being aggressive twds it. I am very excited about this fish.. I didn’t even know the species name when I ordered the fish so I had no idea what it would turn out to be.. it was just listed as a giant tiger gourami I believe

Reactions: SourAngelfish

SourAngelfish

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2021
it’s only been 7-10 days and s/he is probably the smallest of the fish in the tank along with some of the loaches.. I haven’t seen him/her be aggressive to any of the fish. I’ve actually taken two other fish out (parrot cichlid andOsphronemus goramy) b/c they were being aggressive twds it. I am very excited about this fish.. I didn’t even know the species name when I ordered the fish so I had no idea what it would turn out to be.. it was just listed as a giant tiger gourami I believe
Wish i had saw when more came in, I wouldve grabbed another. This is a beautiful species and considered to be the rarest of the genus. Hopefully yours will be .a bit more peaceful than mine

Reactions: Odo

Odo

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 4, 2008
Northern Virginia
Wish i had saw when more came in, I wouldve grabbed another. This is a beautiful species and considered to be the rarest of the genus. Hopefully yours will be .a bit more peaceful than mine
From speaking w/ the person at the fish shop there were only 5 that came in and one was taken home by a worker. Hopefully.. it will be peaceful. I saw that they were a bit more slow growing than other types. Mine seems to be already putting on some size in the short amt of time that I’ve had him. I’ve got a mbu puffer that I haven’t seen be aggressive w/ anyone in nearly 2 years since I got it - this gourami was literally stealing bits of a crayfish from his mouth... another fish that will have to be moved to avoid accidents. All the other fish seem to have the good sense to stay away while he’s eating including other gourami 🤣

Reactions: SourAngelfish
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store