Formalin and malachite green to add into the tank directly

zapatower

Plecostomus
MFK Member
How much amount of Formalin and malachite green to add into the tank directly, the tank is 850 liters. Another question, this reagent of the picture contains Zn "zinc". It doesn't show any lavel. The tarjet is a couple of Motoro stingrays, they share their tank with guppies, the most of them are affected by Trichodina sp and fungus. Any recommendation will be wellcome.
o_O

DSC_0057[1].JPG

DSC_0058[1].JPG

Aquanero

Global Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2009
New Jersey
What is the pH and hardness of your water?

Aquanero

Global Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2009
New Jersey
It will be important to get the water parameters as this will affect how best to treat the fish.

The recommended dosage of MG/formalin is 1 teaspoon per 10 gallons of water every other day for two weeks. 25% water changes are recommended before each dose. You should start with half dosage for the rays and see how they handle it. If all is well after 3 days go full strength.
I would recommend you use Triple Sulfa (at full dosage as per package instructions)with Malachite Green/formalin as it will buffer the effects of MG in sensitive fish and allow the tolerance of full dosage. The use of Triple Sulfa with Malachite Green (or MG formulations) also provides the benefit of increased secondary infection protection which is common with Trichodina.

Something to remember is MG is more toxic at lower pH levels below 7 and hardness so a KH of 50 and GH of 100 ppm or higher is recommended it is also important to let you know as in your case Malachite Green formulations that contain zinc are also much more toxic to fish and especially to scale-less fish such as rays. If you could find a newer product like Quick Cure I would use that over what you currently have due to the unknown Zn level, however if push comes to shove it's still better than nothing.

I would do a 50% water change, remove any activated carbon if used and wait at least 30 mins after using any redox reducing agents before adding meds to the tank.

Some additional info: http://pubs.ext.vt.edu/600/600-205/600-205_pdf.pdf

Coryloach

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2015
That's a big risk you are taking treating the tank directly with those meds. You've got to be careful with the water quality and your cycle.

A good alternative for trichodina treatment, if you haven't heard, and which is pretty safe to use is praziquantel in a 3 week bath maintaining the dose. I'd recommend if you can get "fluke-solve" as in here and their recommended dose.
http://www.fish-treatment.co.uk/fluke-solve-aquarium.html

The fungus is just a secondary infection. You need to keep the tank extremely clean via water changes. If it's fungus, heating up the tank over 28C will kill it.

Trichodina is opportunistic, which means it becomes parasitic and out of proportions when conditions for the fish are not right.

Good luck with the treatment.

zapatower

Plecostomus
MFK Member
The feeders "poecilids",
specifically some of them, are infected by Trichodina and I suppose that trichodina is everywhere. If I use only malachite green is right? I have to remove plants to avoid injury in their tissues?
thank you

Coryloach

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2015
Would you not be worried about malachite green hurting stingrays? These sort of meds may not be harmless to the fish you have, hence I suggested praziquantel.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store