Gar bow hunting

Thekid

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 18, 2014
Land of corn
I don't know if you guys have the same problems as we do here, but there's a lot of aquarists that have released a TON of pleco's everywhere here. I aim to kill them where I know they shouldn't be in the first place. Even as a little kid 20 years ago I was seeing them and hand catching them in the springs (releasing of course). This is fine because while they can travel down stream, they generally don't with the food source changes, and temperature changes. I know 2 lakes specifically where I'm paid to remove them by property owners. Because we all know pleco's like caves. Since florida is sand, the pleco's make caves in shallow water. Eating away at the property lines. And for one, he's lost a lot of cows because the pleco's make swiss cheese out of the ground and the cows sink and die, tainting the watering hole for drinking and of course losing a lot of money over cattle.

While I don't like to kill a fish, I know that I've speared 5 common pleco's in 1 sitting that were all over 18 inches long. I even went swimming and hand caught one (that one was a TON of fun lol) when the water temps were lower. There are soo many large plecos in this lake that his section of dock that was on land just for sunbathing and looking out on the lake without being over the water now has about 3 feet of ground that has collapsed and needed to be filled in because it was a foot deep hole right as you stepped onto the start of the dock. From the start of that dock to the actual shore line is about 5 ft.

The econlockhatchee river I've seen the shorelines expand about 8 feet in the past 4 years. Luckily in that section it's a concrete overflow going in, and a dam going out so hopefully they don't leave there naturally.
Kudos to you for removing invasive species.

If everyone did their part there would be a lot less issues in the world.

Sent from my iPad using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

blindkiller85

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 22, 2013
Orlando, FL
But that takes far too much effort for anyone to do that normally and simply cannot be expected of anyone anymore.

Every time I lose a piece of trash off my boat I feel bad, and if it's visible I go back and get it. Anytime I see anyone else's trash I aim to pick it up and take it with me. Guess it's one of those things that it's just how I was raised. But I know I'm not perfect either.

raubiy

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 8, 2015
♛ Slovenija ♛
Fishing is sport. Catch and relise or fishing for food. This bowfishing don't sound to me SPORT. Killing for fun ? Eat damn fish or go home.....

MN_Rebel

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 5, 2008
North Pole
Fishing is sport. Catch and relise or fishing for food. This bowfishing don't sound to me SPORT. Killing for fun ? Eat damn fish or go home.....
The problem is the targeted species taken with a bow, they're rarely caught on hook and line. Even if the roughfish are caught on hook, most of times they are left on the bank, in the garden or in the dumpster. You don't see any game fish being taken with a bow since they are protected by laws.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store