Silent Overflow the easy way

Blkpiranha

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 8, 2007
If you don't mind for me to add to the topic of easiest overflow. This one is real easy and the part I like is you have no room taken up inside the tank for the overflow box, thus more room in the tank. It's an outside overflow box(one on each side) with each side having a valve to control the amount of water in the box to help make it silent. The other pipe on the right is just in case the strainer gets clogged or the filter socks. If the socks or strainer clog the water will rise until it overflows into the standing pipe as the pipe is cut just below the height of the box so the water won't overflow and will flow down this pipe and into the sump.

IMG_1789 (640x480).jpg

badassissimo

Candiru
MFK Member
Mar 26, 2008
Mansfield, Louisiana, U.S.A.
Don't have any on my laptop, in Hanoi right now. Will make one when I get home.
Very simple overflow, just 2 pieces of glass siliconed in the right back corner.
Difficult to see in the pictures above because it's all covered with a DIY Concrete/Foam/Resin background.
A piece of acrylic with slits and holes covers the top so that nothing bigger than 2mm can get into the overflow and down to the filter.
Ya, I was trying to picture it and couldn't. I'll be glad to see it when it pops up. Enjoy Hanoi!

badassissimo

Candiru
MFK Member
Mar 26, 2008
Mansfield, Louisiana, U.S.A.
If you don't mind for me to add to the topic of easiest overflow. This one is real easy and the part I like is you have no room taken up inside the tank for the overflow box, thus more room in the tank. It's an outside overflow box(one on each side) with each side having a valve to control the amount of water in the box to help make it silent. The other pipe on the right is just in case the strainer gets clogged or the filter socks. If the socks or strainer clog the water will rise until it overflows into the standing pipe as the pipe is cut just below the height of the box so the water won't overflow and will flow down this pipe and into the sump.
Blkpiranha,

That actually looks really close to what I've been trying to cook up for my big tank when I start it again. I had looked into all kinds of overflows and a an outside overflow box was what I kept finding. Have you seen the ones that have the lip to keep water flowing through? Supposed to be very quiet but can be a challenge to prime. Check it out:

Luc70

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 8, 2009
Bangkok, Thailand
Sorry for the delay.. but here are the pictures of the overflow in the corner of the tank.

Shot from the top without the pre-filter plate on top

IMG_2830.jpg

Top with the plate in place..

IMG_2831.jpg

And a shot from the front where you can see the 'box' although nicely camouflaged..

IMG_2852.jpg

As said, tank is a work in progress, too busy with other projects currently, but will start a new thread sometime soon to keep a log on it.
For now it's just an overdone grow-out tank.. hahaha.

Cheers,
Luc

Luc70

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 8, 2009
Bangkok, Thailand
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store