T. Sieboldii sexing

henknaert

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 29, 2011
china
Hi,

was wondering if anyone could help me sex these fish. Two fish pictured here below, two pictures of each fish. they are currently about 10cm (4"). thx

s1.jpgs1a.jpgs2.jpgs2a.jpg

s1.jpg

s1a.jpg

s2.jpg

s2a.jpg

henknaert

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 29, 2011
china
Looks like both males to me. Female Sieboldi will have a prominent black bar in dorsal fin even at a smaller size.
Thanks....
I was hoping these would be male but one of the fish recently started to display a lot of black in the dorsal compared to just a couple of weeks ago, here is a new photo. (fish 1 and 2 in the same order as original post)
Not sure if anyone has ever seen males displaying this much black in the dorsal? I wonder (hope) this might be a possibility with subdominant fish?
I added a third photo of a fish of which I did not post a picture in the first post, I thought male, but now also displaying plenty of black in the dorsal. IMG_0536.JPG IMG_0518.JPG IMG_0524.JPG

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
Pics from the post above all look female to me, I couldn't tell at all with the first pics.
It may be that in this variant, they don't display the dark patch until sexually mature, or ready to spawn. They now also look like prespawning color display just setting in, with the contrasting dark and light.

henknaert

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 29, 2011
china
If indeed all fish pictured are female (hope not) then I have been fortunate enough to get an all female group of 5 without further access to any male fish...:( (Live in China not an easy find here!)
I have gotten another 5 ft tank for a group of thorichthys I am expecting, planning to take the male thorichthys out and put him with the others. Wondering if I should split the Sieboldii into two groups. I have three Sieboldii which are displaying to the male Nicaraguense, assumed females. Two Sieboldii I have never seen doing this, also vent seems slightly smaller but could also be due not being into breeding modus. All have some or lots of black in dorsal now. Thinking of taking a presumed (hoped) male and putting together with a probable female together with the thorichthys in the other tank, or placing all other fish in the other tank and the Sieboldii by themselves (currently they are not the dominant species in the tank, they are being chased around by the male thorichthys and chased away by the male Nicaraguense), not really sure which route to take. So far the Sieboldii are also not killing each other, not sure if this is due to being maybe an all female group (would seem logical) or due to being not the dominant species in the tank... (Maybe a bit far fetched and taking my wishes for reality here :D)

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
Though the dark patch is "usually" a female indicator, it is not set in stone. Because when some central Americans spawn, or begin a spawning display, a male can often also display a dark area in the dorsal.
Below is a pair of H carpintus I had, and as you can see, the male (on the right) took on a dark dorsal color when spawning.

henknaert

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 29, 2011
china
Thanks.
Guess they should become easier to sex with age, since the males grow considerably larger than the females it seems. Some more patience needed maybe :D

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store