Geophagus ID Please

TripleW

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
May 5, 2012
Iowa
Hey guys..I'm adding this Geo to my herd this weekend...can I hear a few guesses as to which species ot may be? From what I can tell....Winemilleri?

ryansmith83

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 2, 2008
Florida
I don't see the mark on the cheek. Is it there? If so, and if the fish has only four broad bars on the body, it's winemilleri.

TripleW

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
May 5, 2012
Iowa
I don't see the mark on the cheek. Is it there? If so, and if the fish has only four broad bars on the body, it's winemilleri.
No. There is no cheek mark that I can see. Here is a bit better picture of him. I don't have him in my possession as of yet.

GreenTerror7

Candiru
MFK Member
Sep 29, 2011
So cal/ LAX
Looks like my surinamensis but the horizontal stripes through the tail lead me to agree with you on winemilleri. My surinamensis does not have stripes through the tail

TripleW

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
May 5, 2012
Iowa
Looks like my surinamensis but the horizontal stripes through the tail lead me to agree with you on winemilleri. My surinamensis does not have stripes through the tail
Looks like it could be a geophagus abalios as well. I hopefully have better luck identifying it when it is in my tank.

ryansmith83

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 2, 2008
Florida
Both winemilleri and dicrozoster will have a preopercular mark. This fish doesn't appear to have one. Maybe once you get it and it settles in, you can take better pictures.

The only geos that lack a preopercular mark are altifrons, abalios, brokopondo, neambi, sveni, surinamensis, and megasema. It's not the typical altifrons because the midlateral spot is too big, and it's not megasema because the midlateral spot is too small. The first picture looks very much like brokopondo because those fish look very similar to winemilleri in coloration, but brokopondo has spots in the tail and not stripes.

Both pictures are fairly poor quality and the fish doesn't even look the same in each picture. Let's see some better ones, or even a video, once you have the fish in your tank.

Last edited:
Reactions: TripleW

ryansmith83

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 2, 2008
Florida
Looks like it could be a geophagus abalios as well. I hopefully have better luck identifying it when it is in my tank.
At this point I would tend to agree that it's probably abalios. See this picture:

http://www.amazon-exotic-import.de/Gallerie/Cichliden/Bilder/Geophagus abalios Kolumbien.jpg

They can have the horizontal iridescent striping in the body similar to winemilleri, and also have stripes in the tail.

There is also sveni which looks very similar to abalios. Count the vertical bars if the fish shows them when stressed. There are five on sveni and six on abalios.

Last edited:
Reactions: TripleW

TripleW

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
May 5, 2012
Iowa
Winemilleri or Dicrozoster. Dicro seems more likely.
I have two Dicrozoster. This fish as ryansmith83 ryansmith83 pointed out does not seem to have the preopercular (cheek) markings. So that rules out Geo Dicro and Winemilleri According to the Key on this page.

http://www.theokaa.org/vb40/showthread.php?7248-Geophagus-abalios

I would assume the Red Iris possibly narrows it down as well but I guess I don't know that for sure.

TripleW

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
May 5, 2012
Iowa
Both winemilleri and dicrozoster will have a preopercular mark. This fish doesn't appear to have one. Maybe once you get it and it settles in, you can take better pictures.

The only geos that lack a preopercular mark are altifrons, abalios, brokopondo, surinamensis, and megasema. It's not the typical altifrons because the midlateral spot is too big, and it's not megasema because the midlateral spot is too small. The first picture looks very much like brokopondo because those fish look very similar to winemilleri in coloration, but brokopondo has spots in the tail and not stripes.

Both pictures are fairly poor quality and the fish doesn't even look the same in each picture. Let's see some better ones, or even a video, once you have the fish in your tank.
Haha. This fish has been moved around a couple times in the last week or so. I attempted to buy it and two Satanoperca leucosticta from a guy....missed out on it...the guy that bought them apparently did it for a friend and then the friend backed out.....enter me....The first pic was after the first move and the second was from the original tank.....I will get him in settled down and takes some better pics.

Reactions: ryansmith83
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store