Pups-Lost them all

Jimr

Piranha
MFK Member
Oct 20, 2007
Lyme Ct.
Well - this totally sucks. My BD female gave birth over weekend while I was gone. Walked in the door just 10 min ago. Looks like she or the other female killed them all. There were three. In a 450 with only another female. I guess that answers the question on getting those pups out fast. Sad picture to see.

image.jpg

keepinfish

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jun 29, 2007
In God We Trust
wow jim, that is unfortunate. I had a pup that looked like that out of my leo/hen first litter and i thought the others killed it. but its possible they were still born and got chewed after the fact? Sometimes first litters dont always go well.

aquaman45

Aimara
MFK Member
Jan 6, 2009
England
So sorry for you.

Chances are the adults were hungrier than normal whilst you were away, I add pieces of drift wood piled in a corner prior to birth, this helps by providing refuge, buys you a little time so that on your return your in with a better chance of finding them alive, substrate also increases your chances of a better result.
Chin up, there will be another time.

Very very sad indeed!

spotfin

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2006
Maine
Sorry to see this. What is their approximate size?

ShadowStryder

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 4, 2007
Nunya
Sorry to hear Jim.

vamptrev

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 23, 2007
Chesterfield MI
Dang that sucks. Very sorry to see/hear

You were gone for the whole weekend? No babysitter?

Get that web cam hooked up and on your phone!

One of my pups lost a tail to my big leohen female. She bit the pup for no reason....

jim barry

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jun 21, 2006
U.K
Mate that sucks big time, sorry for your loss. Aquaman's idea of bits of driftwood is a great one and i do this myself following his recomendation. Gives the pups a fighting chance even if you are at home when they are born as this normally happens in the middle of the night whwn you are asleep. Better luck next time bud.

Jimr

Piranha
MFK Member
Oct 20, 2007
Lyme Ct.
Thanks guys. What really sucks is I had a big piece of driftwood in that tank a while back. I pulled it out because the Rays were chewing it up and making a mess. Wish I would have left it in now. Lesson learned - I guess.

festaedan

Piranha
MFK Member
Jul 25, 2013
Maryland
So sorry to hear Jim!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store