Relevance of the LFS in 2015

erik333

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 9, 2014
Pennsylvania
I'm back in the hobby after taking a break for about the last 8-9 years. Coming back into it now, I have seen many changes over those years and had to learn some new stuff. But the majority of information I've taken in has been from forums like this as well as Facebook groups. And I now have 4 tanks ranging in size from 5 GAL to 355 GAL and only 3 or 4 of my fish have been purchased from a "store". All of the rest have come from breeders, importers, and online retailers. In my new craze back in fishkeeping, I've found the LFS to be almost completely irrelevant. If I need an emergency heater or some frozen bloodworms, I think its necessary. But the advice I get from these stores is often poor or inaccurate and I find the fish selection to be smaller and less healthy than what I can find online.
Just curious what everyone else's view of the LFS is in 2015. I don't wish any of them poorly. I try to support them over the Petcos and Petsmarts, etc. Those chains are really the pits, in my opinion. I just don't have much of a reason to go to a LFS. Even when I want to special order some rare fish from a LFS, I have to beg - its easier to just order them online. A few clicks and they're at my front door the next day.

Allan01230

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 29, 2006
Michigan
I have a few good lfs that I support. They can get some real oddballs. I like to see the fish before I purchase not open some box and find someone cull or dead fish arrive. Just my 2 cents.

Pomatomus

Piranha
MFK Member
Jul 7, 2009
Sarasota, FL
I love to support the LFS in my area, partially because I worked in the industry for 5 years. I will usually stop in to sell fish at the freshwater stores and I pick up supplies and impulse buys (found a leopoldi angel last time).

I go to the saltwater stores for their expertise in corals, as it is more difficult to guess their success in a given system. Because of this I seek their experience, rather than textbook knowledge. I also consult the internet, but when it comes to corals it's good if one of the opinions you hear is from a professional. The coral guys generally learn more about their organisms than freshwater fish people because they are more complex. That being said, when my saltwater LFS has a customer with freshwater questions, they have them call me.

As for buying freshwater fish I have a unique method. I still get wholesaler stocklists and when I see something I want I call my saltwater guy and have him order it. I pick it up at the store later that day, still in the bag from the wholesaler. The guy only charges me a 10% markup because he has no risk of loss. It's all profit for him. Plus I usually end up picking up a frag and we pick each others' brains.

As a marine biologist working in the aquarium trade and aquaculture industry, I can assure you that at every experience level you will find fish people who disagree on things. But it's an experience based hobby and every experience (successful or not) is worth learning from.

ehh

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 30, 2013
New Mexico
Lfs are an important part of the hobby. It allows novice keepers to see how big some fish can really get. It allows some people to see what stunners some ugly fry can turn into, like haps. Also, like you mentioned, emergencies happens. I don't go to my lfs for advice. I know more about fish than everyone there combined. But I do buy all my supplies there. The owner and is an awesome guy and actually knows his stuff. His employees not so much, but that's expected.
You have to keep in mind that you're not a typical fish keeper. Your 300 gallon makes that obvious. The majority of people don't know about ordering fish online. Or care to pay to have them overnighted when they have their lfs to buy fish from. Not too many people know about "rare" fish.
So yes, lfs are absolutely still necessary in 2015.

Evz jardini

Jardini
MFK Member
May 19, 2010
manchester /uk
My LFS is more like a social club for us serious keepers , I often pop in without the need to buy anything just to go see what everyone's up to , if anything big has been brought in or if there's anything nice on the ordered list due to arrive , like ehh said there's always emergencys to think about sometimes people need medication or replacement equipment quickly (that cant happen with online ordering) plus there's the advice side of things I've had some pretty solid advice from my LFS in the past( especially before the days of mfk ) that's helped me save my fish. I also think its a good idea to pick your fish yourself from a tank rather than online orders , I've nothing against ordering fish online but you don't get to pick the individual fish and that's a big part of it for me colour pattern shape varies so much its nice to know you've got the best of the bunch ;):)

Belly up

Piranha
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2008
Wolverine, MI
I think the value of LFS will depend on the size community it is in. In my rural area there has only been a couple of choices for years, until recently when one of the stores changed hands. Prior to that the LFS had the same fish as Walmart but at a higher price. While talking to the new owner I suggested he get fish that Walmart will never have. His response was "That is the plan". On my next visit I saw many fish I had`nt seen since my last visit to Detroit area stores. His business is increasing as people find out he has a really good selection of oddballs and much better quality than the other place. He is willing to order for those with special requests. IMO, he has made himself relevant!

UnstoppableJayD

MFK NNJ
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Jun 6, 2012
Northern NJ
I am in NJ so we are kind of blessed here as we have some serious LFS- with aquascape shark aquarium monster aquarium and Beitals within a half hour my situation may be different (you should find a better store btw) that being said- I have ordered fish to be shipped from vendors- but usually only people i have a comfort level with.. I always prefer to see the fish I am buying before spending big bucks on it... and I have gotten some rough fish shipped to me from vendors before.

ehh

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 30, 2013
New Mexico
My LFS is more like a social club for us serious keepers , I often pop in without the need to buy anything just to go see what everyone's up to , if anything big has been brought in or if there's anything nice on the ordered list due to arrive
To add to this. I love just stopping by to buy something random. not saying a random fish but some random supply. But I do it just to stop by really. I don't talk much to the normal crowd but I love talking to the owner and getting to see fish I've never seen in person.

Reactions: Evz jardini

Evz jardini

Jardini
MFK Member
May 19, 2010
manchester /uk
^^ that's what's its all about IMO and my lfs's :)

Belly up

Piranha
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2008
Wolverine, MI
Within the last few months I have both ordered fish my LFS could`nt get and waited two months for him to get fish in for me. I want to support my LFS as much as possible but will go around him for what I want.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store