what's your worst purchase

coryh

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 26, 2015
Barnsley
One of my least favourite fish purchases was Red Belly Piranhas, I enjoy pretty much all my fishies but my Piranhas are just soo timid.
As soon as i enter the room you can see them go bezerk in the tank then they hide behind decor and rarely swim around until feeding time, then they are savage. I tried feeding them feeder fish, they ripped the tail off and left it for about a hour to swim round and die before finishing the carcass in less then 30 seconds, was quite a large feeder too, but any other time of the day they rarely move unless another piranha gets too close to another, but other then that, very boring fish but very entertaining during feeding times.

Reactions: Deadliestviper7

AudriSampson

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 10, 2011
Danville, IL
For me it was a school of Pacu. I worked at PetsMart and had just set up my first 55 gallon tank. Instead of going with my Dad to some of the big fish stores in Baltimore at that time, I chose to support the local store and keep a fish that was quite popular with customers at the store. I have never had a fish more skittish ever. Turn on any light in the room no matter how bright the room was and they would freak out splashing water in the tank and banging against the glass.. When they weren't freaking out they all fought to hide behind the plants in the tank. When they hit 8 inches each I had basically had enough and rehomed them to a LFS that had a lot of customers with 100 gallon tanks. .

I admit I have some fond memories of them, like sharing my vegetables from dinner with them and watching them play with Brussell sprouts like beach balls and the time they took out 6 pinkies in about 30 seconds, (I didnt realize they were mainly herbavores at the time) but they just got to big too fast and were way to skittish.

monkeybike

Aimara
MFK Member
Mar 13, 2015
While I admit I have regretfully purchased some fish that weren't working out in my main tank (firemouth, convict, etc) they did get repurposed as lunch in my RBPs tank.

For some reason I cant keep cheapo rubberlip plecos alive, I have L191, L14 and Longfin BN doing great in another tank.

convict360

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 9, 2013
Scotland
probably buying from stores i hate, either due to bad owners or experience; but i impulse buy if they have interesting stock. No more.

Also firemouth cichlids, that constantly hid and/or got beaten up in my tanks, and any fish I've had to rehome. I sometimes wonder about this hobby as it seems to stress me out a lot sometimes haha

Kittiee Katt

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Aug 1, 2015
My House!
The biggest mistake I've made was buying a tiny (just over 1 inch) little brown fish for $20. He had blue, green and purple iridescent scales and the coolest personality I've ever seen in a fish.. The lady at the shop assured me that he would max out at around 8 inches.. She didn't know what she was talking about. We had him for 5 years before my mother in law accidentally made him sick (didn't change his water when she was supposed to and he got columnaris (sp?)) He was 12 inches at the time he passed and I've no doubt he would have gotten bigger if he'd survived.. He was a pearl earth eater and a beautiful one at that, my avatar is a picture of him. My biggest mistake but also my greatest blessing.. He was amazing, so much personality. Although the lady at the shop had no clue what she was talking about.. BEWARE OF THIS!!! Most shops just want a sale. Please do your research! The people at the shops say just about anything to get you to buy something!!!

Reactions: Deadliestviper7

raubiy

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 8, 2015
♛ Slovenija ♛
My worst purchase was few years ago.
Puffer fish in comunity tank. Back then i didn't know any thing about puffer i just bought him and put him in my comunity tank. you know what happen. Puffer go in berserker mode when i was at work.
His big teeth eat my other fish fins....
I was angry and returned him to shop.
Girl at LFS lie to me.....

Venom SS

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2008
Texas
$600 Brokopondo pbass that died within 10 days of having it. None of my existing school picked on it. It ate anything and everything I fed. Was going to be a dream fish! Was fine when I left for work that morning, dead when I got home that afternoon. All the other fish were and still are fine to this day. Major rip off. 2nd worst purchase, large Red Devil. It was calm and cool at the original owners place with all his fish. When I put it in with my fish it instantly proceeded to kicking every fishes *** in the tank. I had to scramble to set up a separate tank for it immediately untill I could re home it before it destroyed $1500 worth of tank mates lol. It was biting the other fish so hard I could hear the crunch standing 3ft from the tank! Nasty little buggers.

fish_chick

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 8, 2013
SC
I've had giant danios with my Oscars and they did fine...I figured zebra danios would be fine too. Nope. Put the 7 I bought in, by the next morning there was no trace of them.

Reactions: convict360
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store