Fishing Season 2k15!!!!!!!!!!!!!

predatorkeeper87

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2014
pennsylvania
Thanks, raubiy! I often feel under skilled when I read the Erie fishing reports and see guys catching 50-300 perch in a matter of hours lol.
those are the guys that have been fishing the lakes for years, know exactly were the schools are at all hours of the day, and what they are eating at that particular moment in time haha. Its like going to pymatuning, gunning for walleye and you always get that old guy who outfishes you 10-1 lol all because he knows EXACTLY what those fish are doing at that exact time....

divemaster99

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
those are the guys that have been fishing the lakes for years, know exactly were the schools are at all hours of the day, and what they are eating at that particular moment in time haha. Its like going to pymatuning, gunning for walleye and you always get that old guy who outfishes you 10-1 lol all because he knows EXACTLY what those fish are doing at that exact time....
Still doesn't explain why we only catch 1-6 perch when we're anchored within he large group of dozens of boats that we see pulling them up nonstop while we use the same double dropper rig with the same emerald shiners for bait. LOL. I don't let it concern me that much though, perch aren't much of a fight and we more often go after Lake Trout, Salmon, and Walleye.

Wailua Boy

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2015
Hawaii
Still doesn't explain why we only catch 1-6 perch when we're anchored within he large group of dozens of boats that we see pulling them up nonstop while we use the same double dropper rig with the same emerald shiners for bait. LOL. I don't let it concern me that much though, perch aren't much of a fight and we more often go after Lake Trout, Salmon, and Walleye.
Perhaps try a lighter fluorocarbon leader...

divemaster99

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
Perhaps try a lighter fluorocarbon leader...
Actually everyone in the "perch pack" either uses like 50 pound mono or steel wire for the leaders off their dropper rigs. Those perch don't care what it looks like, they just don't like us:D

fatboy8

Piranha
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2012
Philadelphia
Actually everyone in the "perch pack" either uses like 50 pound mono or steel wire for the leaders off their dropper rigs. Those perch don't care what it looks like, they just don't like us:D
Or the guys you're seeing catching are over the structure that the perch are holding on whether it be weeds, a hump, drop off, rock piles, etc. You could just be picking off the few stragglers. Also could be you're not presenting the bait the way they want it

divemaster99

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
Fished the creek yesterday. Landed 4 and had 6 total on the hook. Fish I landed include a pair of Northern Hogsuckers, a decent smallmouth (for this creek), and a decent rainbow trout. Up at Erie now and already at 10 fish after a few hours, will definitely have something to report when we leave Sunday.

image.jpg

blindkiller85

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 22, 2013
Orlando, FL
What, don't like the cold water haha?
Cold has nothing to do with it. Got my life guard certifications in 56 degree water. And I LOVE a true winter (minus ice storms where my family is from) and not a FL winter. But I think you're too young or to privileged to understand why people can't just go fishing half the country away.

Had one of my last trips for a few months this weekend with a friend. I got outfished (in one aspect) for once which is a treat for me and makes me more humble. Buddy caught 2 chain pickerel about 16 inches and a solid 3 lb LM. I couldn't get a decent bite but I pulled in 1 pickerel about 12 inches and 7 LM bass ranging from 8 inches to 15 inches. Thought it might be different with shiners on this lake because it's notorious for being a smaller bass lake. Turned out to be the same size fish, while spending more money.

Not something I like to do often but we kept the legal sized ones after I pulled in the first bass just over 14 inches that swallowed the hook. Just kinda said screw it, he's dead anyways might as well eat some fish this trip.

Last edited:

divemaster99

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
Another good weekend on the lake, caught 19 myself and we took my little cousin out for half a day earlier today and she caught 2. Headed up Friday morning and stopped at Geneva marsh to fish with no luck. After we got to Erie it was to rough to troll Friday so we drift fished and jigged in the bay and caught 9 fish. Mainly Drum with a few Moronids and an 8" 'Gill. Shore fished that night and set my personal weight record for Drum at 7 pounds (25"), few more hits but nothing after that. Saturday we trolled at "The Mountain" for about 7-8 hours in hopes of Lake Trout or Steelhead but instead just caught 2 white bass (although they were 12" and 15") and an awesome 24" 7 pound Steelhead (my first steelhead that wasn't a YOY smolt)! Finally, headed west today in search of Walleye and trolled for around 7 hours, caught a lot of rough including some White Bass, (surprisingly) a small Yellow Perch, and 4 Drum with the largest weighing in at a massive 28" 10 pounds (largest caught in PA in two years and broke my personal Drum weight record again!)Great weekend and be back next one (mainly to install new curtains on the boat but hopefully troll a bit if there's time)!

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

raubiy

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 8, 2015
♛ Slovenija ♛
MFK on phone + fishing don't go together xD

Just look what carp done :)
I almost lose my new vendetta rod xD20150704_191949.jpg

zoomed.com