Guppy question

matseski

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 30, 2014
United States
I have a female guppy who was looking a bit wobbly and the scales on her stomach were sticking out and her fins had a few tears. I moved her to a 10g to monitor and surprise, she had 1 fry. (surprising because I hadn't had a male in the tank in a while) She has been eating the whole time and swimming, but the scales on her stomach are still disheveled. It has been about a week with daily 30% water changes. Is this a symptom of a pregnancy? Is the fact that she only had 1 fry perhaps a sign that she was sick during her pregnancy? All of the other fish seem fine and the fry is doing well.

matseski

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 30, 2014
United States
Thats what I originally thought due to the scales, but then I thought that it accompanied bloating. My guppy definitely isnt bloated, even before having the fry, she did not even look pregnant which led me to think maybe a parasite.

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
BTW do you have any other guppy's in there with female, if so you may want to see if dropsy is contagious. I have guppys but haven't experienced any of them getting bloat or drobsy. Had to treat for ich with API Quick Cure once.

matseski

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 30, 2014
United States
Currently the only other fish in there is the fry. I separated her from the tank when I noticed the scales looking a little odd. So far no other fish has shown similar symptoms.

Tifftastic

Gambusia
MFK Member
Aug 9, 2008
Glasgow, Scotland
The sticking out scales does make me think dropsy. . . Also, I've read that livebearers can store sperm and use it whenever, so even if it had been a while since a male was in the tank, she could still reproduce. Livebearers are cool like that.

Is there anyway you can get a picture of her? That way we can tell if it is dropsy or something else. Have you been treating the iso tank with anything?

matseski

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 30, 2014
United States
Here is the best I can get. You can see the torn fin, and the scales protruding a bit from her stomach. Certainly not as glisteny on the back as before. So far I have not treated with anything, just daily water changes. She seems to be less wobbly than in the main tank but currents are not nearly as strong.

image.jpg

image.jpg

Tifftastic

Gambusia
MFK Member
Aug 9, 2008
Glasgow, Scotland
I realize its been over a week, but I was unable to post all of this week for some reason. The photos don't look like dropsy to me, the fish usually look much more pine cone like.

How's she doing now?

matseski

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 30, 2014
United States
She didnt make it, died about a week ago. The fry is doing well though.

Unfortunately, one of the other guppies just started to exhibit similar behavior, a few disheveled scales, thinner frame, and lazy swimming. Still nothing abnormal in any of the other species.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store