Do red cherry, ghost and yellow shrimp need a filter and/or air pump?

Rabbits

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 27, 2015
Do all these shrimps need a filter and/or air pump? I know that red cherry shrimps are very hardy. If you know any other hardy shrimps, please comment down below some.

Wailua Boy

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2015
Hawaii
I don't think you need one(filter), I have seen some very nice natural(planted tanks with no filter)tanks with shrimp and fish for that matter. You do need a tank with actively growing plants, to oxygenate. Natural tanks, they are a little tricky at first but once you get the hang of it, well worth it. Research the Walstad method of planting tanks..... When in doubt throw in a sponge filter for your shrimp.

Last edited:

Rabbits

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 27, 2015
I would probably use a 2 gallon bowl or plastic container and put in substrate. Is that enough for 4 red cherries? What would be the best plants?

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
Personally i would at the very least add a sponge filter to the tank, since while the shrimp may not produce much waste on their own, they do like very clean water, and water sitting still may get stale and cause problems with time...

Rabbits

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 27, 2015
Ok, I'll use one but would it take too much space? I like to let my pets have the most freedom possible, but the biggest tank in my house is being used. If I used a 3 gallon and added a sponge filter will the shrimp be alright? I've heard that some people remove the fish/shrimp/crayfish from the tank, pour the tank's water into another container (most likely a bucket), then pour it back to oxygenate the water.

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
^ Honestly, i've never heard of that being done before, although not many people i've known used such a small tank...

Considering though that its a 3G you might be able to pull off doing small water changes every 2-3 days just to keep them happy, like maybe 0.5G each time so you don't shock them...

West1

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Sep 27, 2007
I have a .5gl cherry tank. Amazonia soil with plants. No light, no filter, no heater, no maintenance. All I do is top offs. Ive had the tank running for at least 6 months and its thriving. Shrimps are healthy, active and fat :)

jeremoose

Candiru
MFK Member
Aug 10, 2011
Canada
For what it costs for a sponge filter setup I'm not sure why you wouldn't just use one. Imo anyways.

Aquanero

Global Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2009
New Jersey
I would tend towards using a sponge filter just to be safe. It can be a really small one.
Agreed, once it's established they'll most likely start feeding off it.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store