Anyone here breed worms for their monster fish?

Joecool44

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2015
New Jersey
thinking about breeding worms so I don't have to keep going and buying worms, Is this difficult and how long does it usally take and what are the steps to breeding future food lol?

Oddball

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Apr 27, 2005
Bama
I don't necessarily breed worms for the fish. I do, however, maintain a large compost pile which has attracted thousands of worms. I started the pile more for the fishing bait aspect than for fish feeding.
The worms live at the bottom level of old compost. New compost is turned in at the upper layers so the pile doesn't generate too much heat for the worms. They regulate how far into the new material they want to go for a fresh meal of fruit and veggie throw-aways.
As the pile builds up, I remove bottom soil (full of worm castings) to thresh into our raised gardens and for repotting our house plants.

Reactions: Joecool44

festaedan

Piranha
MFK Member
Jul 25, 2013
Maryland
I have a red wiggler bin, Its mainly for my vegetable garden but my fish dont mind a treat every once in a while

Lost2301

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jul 30, 2015
I bale of straw left on the ground will attract worms. You just turn the bale over and pick out your worms. Then replace bale of straw upright. Sometime latter around the 2 year mark you might have to replace the bale of straw. The worms make really good black dirt. Mike

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store