Favorite Fish to Target

JD7.62

Dovii
MFK Member
Sep 13, 2005
at the 'Bama Breeze
My personal favorite would be dolphin on light tackle. They are strong, fast, acrobatic, beautiful, tasty and rather easy to catch!

I also really like billfish. Sails, swords and marlin really get my blood pumping, especially sails in a kayak! The only problem, where I live, though arguably one of the best places in the continental US to get on a variety of billfish including marlin, a long run of 60+ miles is a must. And it can be tough to reliably get on them in a day trip making a multiple day trip a near must. Having only a 26ft center console and not a 60ft multi million dollar sportfisher, I dont get to marlin fish as much as Id like!

And using topwaters for tasty tuna on spin tackle has a special quality all of its own!

Last edited:

divemaster99

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
^ Some nice catches you have there man! What kind of boat do you have? I get the wanting a bigger one. We have a 22' cruiser (modified for trolling) and when we get in to 6-12' waves on Lake Erie we immediately start thinking of ways to afford a 30-34'r LOL.

JD7.62

Dovii
MFK Member
Sep 13, 2005
at the 'Bama Breeze
6-12' waves in a 22' boat and you lived to tell about it?! Thats impressive!

A 34' boat isnt going to be fun in 6 footers let alone 12 footers! You are nuts.

I just have a 26ft catamaran center console with twin outboards. You wont catch me in anything in 6' and nothing over 3' intentionally. Of course Im talking real 3 footers here. Ive had so many clients out on rough days where they swore it was 6' seas and really is was 3 footers lol.

Andrink

Jardini
MFK Member
Sep 11, 2013
In my area, probably redfish.

divemaster99

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
6-12' waves in a 22' boat and you lived to tell about it?! Thats impressive!

A 34' boat isnt going to be fun in 6 footers let alone 12 footers! You are nuts.

I just have a 26ft catamaran center console with twin outboards. You wont catch me in anything in 6' and nothing over 3' intentionally. Of course Im talking real 3 footers here. Ive had so many clients out on rough days where they swore it was 6' seas and really is was 3 footers lol.
Yeah we never mean to be out in those conditions but Erie can kick up from 2-3' waves to 6-10' ones in about half an hour with enough wind. The worst time was fishing about 10 miles from port for steelhead a couple miles offshore and we had to drive back 2 hours (normally a 30 minute drive) against 6-10'rs with 12' crashing around the peninsula that we had to cross. Getting a beating like that, I'm glad we have a quality made boat!

The other bad time this year was fishing 12 miles offshore along the candian border and having to fight 5-8'rs coming straight at us the entire way back.

Username.

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 30, 2014
Virginia, US
Cobia. You can sight fish for them and when you find one its amazing to see them break the water constantly near buoys and rockbeds. Once you get one on the line it's thrilling, and they fight like maniacs and take great skill to land one. When you troll for them you'll catch tons of blacktips and spinner sharks which are really fun to catch and put up a big fight.

Reactions: Frank Castle
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store