Sexing Mini Marble stingrays

brandon97

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 1, 2015
I've recently purchased a (stunning) mini marble. Out of curiosity does anybody know how to sex these?

Woefulrelic

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Dec 7, 2013
NJ
Do you not sex them the same way you do every other motoro? Look for the claspers.

brandon97

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 1, 2015
Do you not sex them the same way you do every other motoro? Look for the claspers.
I don't know? It's my first time owning a ray- I've looked into and researched everything except breeding and sexing, when looking at the claspers what am I looking for?

koltsixx

Global Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Feb 13, 2007
Bronx, NY
B brandon97 No worries no one knows how to sex stingrays before they ask or research. Luckily sexing stingrays is fairly easy, as Woefulrelic was saying you look at the claspers. Here's some pics that should help.The males claspers are used for internal fertilization in the pic below the fish on the left is a male and the one on the right is a female.

Woefulrelic

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Dec 7, 2013
NJ
I don't know? It's my first time owning a ray- I've looked into and researched everything except breeding and sexing, when looking at the claspers what am I looking for?
Sorry I was being a bit of an ass with my response. If you have a mature mini the claspers stick out like a sore thumb because they get pretty large while the ray stays small.

koltsixx

Global Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Feb 13, 2007
Bronx, NY
Sorry I was being a bit of an ass with my response. If you have a mature mini the claspers stick out like a sore thumb because they get pretty large while the ray stays small.
I wouldn't say you where an ass, for a minute I myself thought there was some difference I didn't know about when it comes to sexing MM's that the Op was speaking of. It was after I saw his join date and post count that I thought it may just be he didn't know how to sex rays in general. Sometimes things just become so general to us concerning fish that we forget that what's common knowledge for many of us isn't for everyone else.

brandon97

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 1, 2015
No it's fine you wasn't being an ass, looking at the Ray I'm 100% it's a male. Thanks for the help!

brandon97

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 1, 2015
B brandon97 No worries no one knows how to sex stingrays before they ask or research. Luckily sexing stingrays is fairly easy, as Woefulrelic was saying you look at the claspers. Here's some pics that should help.The males claspers are used for internal fertilization in the pic below the fish on the left is a male and the one on the right is a female.
Thanks for the help, looking at the picture and comparing it with the Ray I'm 100% sure it's male.

Woefulrelic

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Dec 7, 2013
NJ
No it's fine you wasn't being an ass, looking at the Ray I'm 100% it's a male. Thanks for the help!
Glad to hear you didn't take it the wrong way, and a male will certainly give you a smaller specimen which may be what you are looking for. The only bad news is that if your planning on breeding him in a small tank you will probably need to find mini female.

Reactions: brandon97

brandon97

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 1, 2015
Glad to hear you didn't take it the wrong way, and a male will certainly give you a smaller specimen which may be what you are looking for. The only bad news is that if your planning on breeding him in a small tank you will probably need to find mini female.
At the minute he's in a 6ft tank but after Christmas I will be upgrading to an 8ft or 7ft at the least. As for breeding them I'd like to give it ago but I want to do a lot more research as I'm not fully sure about the the breeding process.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store