stupid mistake nearly cost me!!

hooliganATV

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 3, 2014
Wales UK
Even after 15 years one stupid mistake nearly cost me my dovii pair today.

so was doing my water changes and as normal i give the tiles in the take a syphon to get rid of any surface waste. then i set up a 600 lph pump out the window to drain the tank. once it get down to about 50/75% i turn it off get the hose pipe and fill it back up.

so set it up went off to play with the new set ups and do a couple of smaller tanks as normal. as i didn't get a good wc done last week only 20% i did a large one this week, 75%. so hooked up the hose and got it filling back up, went off to again sort something out and didn't give it another thought until it was full.

well daughter shouted me to say the female dovii was acting weird, on checking them she was in a state of shock, and the male the bristlenose was limp in the tank.

after learning this the hard way back in 2002 when i lost a tank of oscars after not checking the temps, i basically sent my dovii into thermal shock. a couple of buckets of hot water and an extra heater or two sorted it and they back feeding and charging the glass. such an easy one to make but kicking myself for doing it.

i think the reason this happened and it doesn't normally is a combination of thing, wife had just run a bath so tank was empty so not even room temp or pipe warm, also it was cold last night and weather was bad, and i took too much tank water out to.

lucky the all good now.

Reactions: Vukmir13

pops

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2013
WA
I have schooled the kids, Saturday morning is water change, we do not shower untill they are done less what you just described happens. especially in winter.

pops

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2013
WA
and if i may commend your daughter for being aware. Good job on her part.

hooliganATV

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 3, 2014
Wales UK
and if i may commend your daughter for being aware. Good job on her part.
she sits for hours watching them but on wc sunday she helps by watching the level lol. she learning the tricks i think and doing a good job for eight. had it been any longer i would have lost them so be a trip to the shops for her i think.

Reactions: Jgilbert529

Evz jardini

Jardini
MFK Member
May 19, 2010
manchester /uk
Buy her something really cool Shane you owe the little princess big time mate ;)
Sounds like you had a lucky escape with the dovii pair good job there hard as nails anything else may not have taken the shock

hooliganATV

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 3, 2014
Wales UK
Buy her something really cool Shane you owe the little princess big time mate ;)
Sounds like you had a lucky escape with the dovii pair good job there hard as nails anything else may not have taken the shock
yeh mate, you right such a school boy mistake.

Evz jardini

Jardini
MFK Member
May 19, 2010
manchester /uk
I make them all the time mate , never usually learn my lesson until it costs me

smitty03281964

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
May 5, 2010
Yeadon, Pennsylvania USA
It happens. They really just go into like hibernation mode due to the extreme temperature swing.

fishnatics

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Mar 1, 2008
Wisconsin
This is the reason why I do my wc early sat or sun morning when no ones up yet. As my wife and kids love to use all the hot water up.

arowanaman85

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 8, 2016
Vandergrift, PA
This is why i stopped doing the large water change, just added more volume of water and smaller changes. keeps parameters stable. Lucky they survived. I stopped using hot water as well. Least in my house I have hot water tank in basement, all the heavy metals and crap end up in my hot water tank, and I haven't gotten around to doing a recycle pump on it, so i just do tiny water changes.

Though by the end of the week I'll have my sump plumbed to the municipal water and sewer and i'll start doing automated frequent top off/changes. Just makes for more stable parameters, that and lots of algae/plant life in filtration.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store