Pea Puffers Picky Eaters?

hooliganATV

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 3, 2014
Wales UK
thanks mate it does get overgrown and have to trim it back but they love it so many nooks and crannies to get into

one cube will do mine for a week (although i just throw it in with the other fish hahaha) just cut it into small square, in fact i would say 3 you could get 8 feeds out of a cube.

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
No luck.

Looks like ill be going to buy some frozen bloodworms tomorrow.
Damn that sucks... Maybe try a little each time before feeding bloodworms and see if they catch on?

cichlidsickness

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 25, 2011
Ceres, CA
I actually took back the brine shrimp and swapped it for the frozen bloodworms. Its really not a big deal I'll just be feeding frozen I suppose.

Ive got a few other questions.

1. Can I get away with feeding them every other day? It's only a 5 gallon and I dont want too much waste. I plan on doing a 50 percent water change once a week.

2. Can they live off of bloodworms as their staple diet or do I need to feed other things occasionally?

3. Ive read that their teeth grow and they need snails to trim them down. Ive also read that this species of puffers dont need their teeth trimmed down. So whats the truth behind this?

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
I actually took back the brine shrimp and swapped it for the frozen bloodworms. Its really not a big deal I'll just be feeding frozen I suppose.

Ive got a few other questions.

1. Can I get away with feeding them every other day? It's only a 5 gallon and I dont want too much waste. I plan on doing a 50 percent water change once a week.

- Yes, not a problem...

2. Can they live off of bloodworms as their staple diet or do I need to feed other things occasionally?

- Can also ask the LFS's for the ocassional pest snail as treats...

3. Ive read that their teeth grow and they need snails to trim them down. Ive also read that this species of puffers dont need their teeth trimmed down. So whats the truth behind this?

- Dwarf Puffers do not have overgrown teeth problem like some other species of puffers is correct :)
See my reply under each question ;)

hart24601

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2015
My experience with these little guys - I have only been able to get them to eat live blackworms and snails. I have tried frozen and freeze dried blackworms and blood worms, frozen brine shrimp and assorted other foods with no luck.

cichlidsickness

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 25, 2011
Ceres, CA
Awesome, I think I'm gonna like this little bunch ive got here!

I do plan on doing the occasional snail treats from time to time.

I guess I'm lucky to get them eating frozen lol sounds like the bunch you have is very picky Hart.

I've tried keeping these pea puffers in the past (twice) but I've always had them kill each other down to 1 from stressing the weaker ones out. Then the one I was left with didnt live very long after that. So I grabbed up 7 this time lol. I know its probably not going to be advised to do so on here because its only a 5 gallon but I'm hoping if some die off that I'll be able to keep a a good solid 3 or so.

hart24601

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2015
Ha, no kidding! They are my GF's, but I seemed to have "adopted" them. I have 7 in a dense planted 10g (real and fake) and they have all been getting along for around a year now. I think they are all females though, so we lucked out with that. I keep trying to get them on frozen, but no luck. With marimo balls the blackworms settle in them and the puffers eat them for quite a long time so with snails in the tank I don't have to feed them very often, just when I notice them slimming down a bit.

I am really jealous yours eat frozen!

Reactions: cichlidsickness

convict360

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 9, 2013
Scotland
the more densely you plant your set-up, the less likely to see fatalities.

I had a few in a 5g last year, after planting heavily; one would attempt to chase, then get distracted by a bit of gravel and go and inspect that instead. They're little doughballs. I recommend moving stuff around frequently, otherwise they get bored and glass surf

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store