Fish collecting

Moontanman

Polypterus
MFK Member
Mar 6, 2008
Cape Fear, NC
blogs.scienceforums.net
I went out today by myself to do a little collecting, first time out since my last surgery.

My target species was Redfin Pickerel, but the prime collecting site is on private property and had a no trespassing sign up and the owner wasn't home to ask his permission so I didn't get to collect there. He had told me several years ago I was welcome to collect any time but now there is a fence and that was several years ago and I'm not sure the same guy lives there.

No pickerels were caught. I did get the following species.

Swamp Darter 1

Pirate perch 1

Blue spotted sunfish 3

Several gambusia with one black spotted male...

Wait for it!

Three tiny Sirens! I thought they were eels at first but when I put on my glasses it was obvious they were Sirens! First really small Sirens I have ever caught. They were about 3" long...

I also caught two salamanders of unknown species

several large turtles. stink pots and yellow sliders.

I very large and unhappy red bellied snake, he almost filled up the net!

I also observed two large alligators sunning them selves, I figured they were better left alone, they were about 8' long.

More surgery in a few weeks so I intend to get out again soon, have to have redfin pickerels before you can breed them!

I did try my hand at micro fishing but only a few large green sunfish were caught.

A watched a fisherman near me in Greenfield Lake spillway catch a large mouth bass, he released him after a picture was taken.

Michael

divemaster99

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
That sounds like a great trip, I'd love to do some netting in coastal areas sometime!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store