Entire Living room flooded this morning!!!

viejafish

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jan 31, 2013
Northeast
What if you are far away on vacation when the alarm sounds. It's better to prevent than to react to flood alarm. Having a big tank in the living area is always a vulnerability. There is a reason why water heater is always located in the basement or garage wherever it is feasible. I am not suggesting you should hide your show tank in the basement no one can appreciate, but if you have your tank is in the living area, you should select set up that is nearly 100% flood proof.

Reactions: FishNCash

fishtankphil

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
May 24, 2014
USA
Well, today at 1 am in the morning am awaken by loud bangs on the door. At first I thought it was the police, but when I started approaching the living room, which is carpet covered btw. I noticed the most terrifying noise I ever heard, the sound of my bare feet splashing around in 2 inches of water. Worst fear coming to reality, as I continue walking into the living room , I look to my right and there it was, a 220 gallon tank half empty, with filters still running. I thought the worst of it , when I answered the door it was my bottom floor tenant telling me his ceiling was getting wet. Now as I turn towards the tank and at this point , everything seems to be moving at slow motion. I inspect the tank fast and I realized there is no cracks, nothing is broken so how the heck, am missing 50% of water that's laying all over my living room and dinning room. 110 gallons on the floor is a scary sight, now at this point I realized my 15" long 2.5" wide fat Endli bichir is gone, so there laying next to the dinning table which is like 5 feet from the tank, lays my pride and joy, wasn't moving and he looked dark so I left him there for dead as I turned all my filters off. Now I approached the Endli and touched him, he was dry and wasn't moving so I grabbed him. Once I layed a full grasp on him the son of a gun starts jerking around so I freak out and dumped him in the tank. He started gasping for air in the bottom for a good 10 minutes then starts swimming like nothing ever happened..... are you serious >??????? So at this point I start looking to see how this whole mess happended. My tank has super heavy glass lids only with a small opening in the back for the inlet and outlet of the filters, literally about 2" gap, there I realized that one of the output was knocked out of the tank. So this little son of a gun somehow I mean 1% freak of nature must of bolted himself straight into the output that only has a small 2 " gap and knocked it off the tank and himself................................................................................. Well to make the story short from now on. Had to call a vacuum company at 2 am, which they surprisingly came in like 20 min, vacuumed my place, cleaned carpet, dried it in under an hour... A++ service . I refilled tank and everything back to normal.

What I learned from this>? don't underestimate the strength of this bichirs.. my goodness .. I also placed 3 x heavy duty suction cups on every output so no more knocking it right off.

I had a beautiful night, 4: 30 am I finished cleaning everything up and I had to leave to work at 5.... Welcome to my world !
knowing the type of person you are and that u have stood up quite a few people, especially me and 10" dat in a 5 gal bucket for 2 hrs I cant say I feel sorry for you. What gose around comes around!

pops

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2013
WA
yup, thats the nasties. hope your repercussions not to bad,

CICHLID STRAIN HUNTERS

Candiru
MFK Member
Jul 23, 2014
Fish out of water...wow...I know it could happen because one morning I found my pleco on the floor it was bone dry I don't know how long it's was out of water, being has though he was very dry and it was morning who knows, I put him back in the tank he tried to roll on his back had to do the revive motion back and forth about 3 to 4 minutes later he was back swimming, caught a skin infection because now that he was in his weakened state he was vulnerable got bit up by some Trimac dry @ one1/2 inch...took him seperated him, mediated him now his 99% back the other 1% is cosmetic permanent damage. (All the skin had rotted of exept on his head he had lost part good the back fin) Today I put up a divider in the Trimac tank it's gotten out of hand with algae, so in he went(the pleco), this guy in 2 hours makes my tank look new on one side...gotta put him on the other side tomorrow the put him back in his home tank in with the Festaes they get along with no divider.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store