Gar too mellow?

Galasca

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Jan 3, 2016
So, I'm new to Gars and I have a small spotted or Florida gar, it's about 2 inches. I saw him floating at the top, so I lightly touched him, he sink down a little and hanged out at the middle of the tank, Are hard afraid of being touched like cichlids, or do they not really care? Is he sick? He's swimming ever so often and his colors are looking good,

predatorkeeper87

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2014
pennsylvania
gar, at least in my experience, were chill like that. mine would hand feed.

predatorkeeper87

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2014
pennsylvania
if hes eating, and not gasping for air then yes I'm sure hes ok.

Galasca

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Jan 3, 2016
Yup he's eating fine, I've been doing one guppy a day for him, sloping a day every week, is that correct feeding?

predatorkeeper87

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2014
pennsylvania
at his size you need to be feeding him as much as he'll take every day. when he hits a respectable 12-14" I'd say is when you can regiment a skip day or two a week.

Galasca

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Jan 3, 2016
at his size you need to be feeding him as much as he'll take every day. when he hits a respectable 12-14" I'd say is when you can regiment a skip day or two a week.
So I can keep all the feeders with him? He won't over eat?

predatorkeeper87

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2014
pennsylvania
So I can keep all the feeders with him? He won't over eat?
I'd start by keeping 10 or so guppies in with him. If he can clear ten out in a day or two then start keeping 10-15 in with him. Mine never overate and I kept guppies and rosies in with them as they grew up.

Galasca

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Jan 3, 2016
Hmm alright I have eight guppies left, was hopefully going to breed them, but he's been eating them way too fast,

verawrf

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 13, 2014
Florida
Really you should keep as many feeder as you can with him, gar need constant supply of food in their first year of growth. You wont overfeed him. Just beware of the risk in the retail sources of your feeders(parasites) and also the size of the feeders.

Also check out the stickies on somatic growth and other growth information, there is gold in there i swear lol.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store