Plywood Build Questions

Hasircoglu

Gambusia
MFK Member
Aug 18, 2014
Lancaster Pennsylvania
So I'm planning on building a plywood tank out of an old 40 breeder I have laying around, but I'm not sure if the glass will be able to hold up to the job
The approximate dimensions will be 78"x20"x36"
The glass from the breeder is 1/4 Inch
the front and back panels of the 40 would then become 1 panel divided by a wood brace in the middle. So is that even remotely doable or is the brace or glass just gonna fail catastrophically on me
Thanks Aaron

fishguy306

Peacock Bass
Community Vendor
MFK Member
Oct 24, 2005
Illinois
Ahh, in that case, pressure wise you'll be fine. I think 20" pushing 1/4" glass, but braced properly it shouldn't be an issue.

That said, something to consider. Bigger tanks usually equal bigger fish. Bigger fish have an easier time cracking thin glass. It doesn't happen often but I have seen it. Something to think about!

Hasircoglu

Gambusia
MFK Member
Aug 18, 2014
Lancaster Pennsylvania
Ahh, in that case, pressure wise you'll be fine. I think 20" pushing 1/4" glass, but braced properly it shouldn't be an issue.

That said, something to consider. Bigger tanks usually equal bigger fish. Bigger fish have an easier time cracking thin glass. It doesn't happen often but I have seen it. Something to think about!
Thanks! This tank isn't gonna have anything huge in it nothing over a foot. I'm guessing a 3/4 inch surface around all sides would be okay for bracing?

Niners4952

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 17, 2016
Why let the glass limit your build, look into buying a bigger piece or a larger older tank you can get the glass from and build it the size you really want. Once you get into building it the cost of building it bigger is very reasonable compared to all glass

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store