Fiber Glass Tank - choice of colors

Red Aimara

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Apr 9, 2011
Currently looking around for a 8 or 10 footer FGT to transfer my ATFs over - having missed a nice 2nd hand tank from a closing down LFS.

Here, it comes in 3 colors - white, black and blue.

To those who used or are using FGTs, what are the pros and cons of each color - leaving aside personal color preference.

I am seeking actual practical reasons here.

Note: not looking to tan arowanas or keeping black rays here. These reasons will be negated for white FGT.

Drx6x

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Mar 19, 2015
IL
don't have one but from looking around reading this and other forums this is my experiences.
white will bleach your fish out (white bucket effect) will also show every spec of dirt and will always look dirty. black hides all dirt making it hard to keep as clean but some fish will really color up because of it will look dark in there even with alot of light. blue tends to be a happy medium between these 2 and seems to be the choice both with hobbyist and aquariums.

Reactions: Red Aimara

rodger

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2008
Kansas City
I have one tank painted black. Some fish look better, some are nearly invisible. I also have an acrylic tank that the back and sides are blue acrylic. Fish show good and it doesn't require much light. I agree that white will make most fish lose their color.

Red Aimara

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Apr 9, 2011
Thanks for all the insight guys.

The FGT is sourced locally from a nearby LFS. I agreed white will washed out the colors of most fishes. Possibly useful for keeping gold aros and PDRs - not to mentioned the algae visibility.

At the moment I am leaning towards black - maybe perhaps it will look more natural.

pharmaecopia

Polypterus
MFK Member
Aug 21, 2010
Ontario, Canada
I have a black stock tank with light tan coloured tiles on the bottom. Only able to view from the top unfortunately which is why the tiles were added. Way to dark otherwise.

Red Aimara

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Apr 9, 2011
I have a black stock tank with light tan coloured tiles on the bottom. Only able to view from the top unfortunately which is why the tiles were added. Way to dark otherwise.
Thanks a lot.

That means going with black FGT might require at least white substrate or strong lighting.

CarpCharacin

Probation Member
Probation Member
Sep 20, 2014
Salt Lake City
White is a neutral color. Blue is lighter than black, but still darker than the white one. I would go with either blue or white. I would not get a black one.

CarpCharacin

Probation Member
Probation Member
Sep 20, 2014
Salt Lake City
Most fish also show up good in white tanks. Koi show up best in the black stock tanks/ponds, but blue tanks are used for koi shows. Go for blue if you are using it for a show.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store