172 Gallon Marine Predator Build

predatorkeeper87

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2014
pennsylvania
Guys this is a thread about the poor guys Marine pred tank, TBH i would love to see a large marine tank because they are so cool but i have no clue how they work and im a FW guy.

Now lets stop derailing over breeding rays, whos right, grammar, auto WC water preparing systems and so on.
don't you tell us how to live our lives! ;)

esoxlucius

Balaclava Bot Butcher
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2015
UK
My dad was a commando in the Israeli military. That doesn't make me a commando.
My dad was a cross dresser, and i partake occasionally too!

esoxlucius

Balaclava Bot Butcher
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2015
UK
My dad was a commando in the Israeli military. That doesn't make me a commando.
My dad was a cross dresser, and i partake occasionally too!

Ppoeschl

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 31, 2014
Panama City Beach
No, I do not make a living on breeding cownose rays. I have and continue to work with these animals, and have gotten many to produce young as well as several other species of Elasmobranch. Not sure how this thread got so derailed though.

hart24601

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2015
So, despite all the other stuff in the thread what coral would you like to keep? It will be tricky with the amount of waste those fish make and lights bright enough to keep coral coupled with several of those fish will eat any invert = a ton of algae. Carbon dosing will help with GFO, but with lights strong enough for coral I would be worried about algae unless you stick to low light softies as those will do well with elevated nutrients too. I had a tuskfish and it was invert annihilation!

I have linked this before but here was my tank before I got sick and it became too much work. Even with all the automation it was a lot of work and stress. But it did get featured by AI and won an acro growing contest on reef2reef

http://www.reefedition.com/reef-spotlight-bret-hartmans-120g/

You can see that I had a large bioload, especially for a stony coral reef, but not a lot of large biomass fish.

I don't think really and one of those large fish is a problem (except the naso tang - they are so active, the others are not so much), but all together that is a whole lot of waste and big fish. The red sea 650 is only 64" long which I think is a problem with the naso. I doubt anyone has tried that exact combo of fish, and personality does come into play, but I wouldn't be shocked if eventually there was a death from other fish.

Reactions: Hendre
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store