Just got myself a 240ltr tank and want cichlids

Peter hallett

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 26, 2016
But im stuck on what chichlids I should get, I know im getting a blue phantom pleco and maybe a gold nugget pleco but thinking about getting black convicts,texas cichlids and fire mouths....what are thoughts on this

1466962772385-624780266.jpg

Reactions: MBxIronman

Stedz2121

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 3, 2016
Convicts are a nightmare bite everything including yourself dig up all ur sand.
I have 2 fire mouths at the min they are doing great keep there self to there self (but are young)
Beautiful looking tank you have :)

Reactions: convict360

Peter hallett

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 26, 2016
Convicts are a nightmare bite everything including yourself dig up all ur sand.
I have 2 fire mouths at the min they are doing great keep there self to there self (but are young)
Beautiful looking tank you have :)
I been told these im getting are a more placid breed of convicts. Ive ordered a gold nugget pleco, a green phantom pleco, 2 blue acara, 2 convicts and 2 texas chichlids to keep the convicts busy, ill post you a pic whem all in, best to put all in at once and not add fish I believe so they find thier places in tank without issues, addimg fish I think creates problems, thankyou for your commemt on my tank yours looks cool too,

Peter hallett

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 26, 2016
I been told these im getting are a more placid breed of convicts. Ive ordered a gold nugget pleco, a green phantom pleco, 2 blue acara, 2 convicts and 2 texas chichlids to keep the convicts busy, ill post you a pic whem all in, best to put all in at once and not add fish I believe so they find thier places in tank without issues, addimg fish I think creates problems, thankyou for your commemt on my tank yours looks cool too,
Oh and 2 firemouths

Peter hallett

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 26, 2016
Are you getting a pair or same sex?
Firemouths or the texas ????? Not sure. But I think 2 male fire mouths and well the texas im not too sure but I still think 2 males would be better, even convicts id get 2 males as im sure I dont want them to breed, I have another question for you in this next pic if you look closely there is a build of something on the bog wood which I believe to be a start of algea but could I be mistaking it for something else, ive had the tank running for over a week and am waiting till 9th of this month for the fish to be put in together, do you agree with me on the pic, DSC_0062.JPG DSC_0063.JPG

Peter hallett

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 26, 2016
Firemouths or the texas ????? Not sure. But I think 2 male fire mouths and well the texas im not too sure but I still think 2 males would be better, even convicts id get 2 males as im sure I dont want them to breed, I have another question for you in this next pic if you look closely there is a build of something on the bog wood which I believe to be a start of algea but could I be mistaking it for something else, ive had the tank running for over a week and am waiting till 9th of this month for the fish to be put in together, do you agree with me on the pic, View attachment 1191177 View attachment 1191178
Its not anywhere else just on the wood which is why I believe it is what it is, also had to buy these today to fit into tank to provide cover and territary for the fish on top of hiding places already in there14673105122961741335877.jpg

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
A pair of firemouths or a pair of texas could easily fill up a 240 litre tank on their own. 2 acaras, 2 convicts, 2 texas and 2 firemouth can be quite the bioload and also if you get pairs of firemouth or acara they can get rather crazy (like maniacal) with eggs so be warned. Then dont get me started on convicts, blacks are a colour type as far as i know so they will also be nuts if paired.

As for the driftwood that is just a harmless mould and is common in new tanks, it will disappear soon

Peter hallett

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 26, 2016
so nice <3
so nice <3
Yeah im starting to think all that may be too mu h then I seen comment and agreed,what if I get one of each, forget the convicts and put in a flowerhorn, so 1 flowerhorn,1texas,1firemouth,1acara and the 2 plecos gold nugget and green phantom which wont be bothered, unless scrap between each other when older but im getting a bigger tank as well as this in time, yeah read up on algea leaving my lights on can kill it off how ever chichlids will pick at it, its harmless to them so im releaved

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store