USA
Expensive meal! Great shot though.

Last edited:

Steven Yee

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 17, 2016
got this after getting out of the shower

endi bichir eating another 20$ snack the loaches were about 3 to 4 inches and this porker was finally caught in the act

the endi is about 7 or 8 inches long

View attachment 1190579
So funny, started missing fish in my tank and never realized that the 6in Brichirs were the culprits...needless to say, they are gone! Great Shot!

Reactions: imabot

thefredpit

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jul 28, 2012
United States
my 1st bichir was only about 2" when I got him and put him in a community tank and within 2 weeks 50 platy were missing and he was almost 4". So I bought him his own tank and got some prawns for the tank and bam the next morning I find his headless body. Now I research my purchases BEFORE I buy lol

Reactions: jaws7777

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
my 1st bichir was only about 2" when I got him and put him in a community tank and within 2 weeks 50 platy were missing and he was almost 4". So I bought him his own tank and got some prawns for the tank and bam the next morning I find his headless body. Now I research my purchases BEFORE I buy lol
Yikes.

I'm getting my bichir soon, Luckily I am versed in keeping fish well fed but not over fed after bloating my betta

Reactions: tlindsey

thefredpit

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jul 28, 2012
United States
I'm not sure you can over feed a bichir they will sometimes do something called stomach packing where they will actually compress the food in their stomach to make more room here is an excerpt from a sticky in the bichir forum here on MFK about bichir behaviour

https://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/...pterides-and-the-purposes-behind-them.223047/

Stomach packing:

This behavior is seen after the fish appears to have eaten its fill. When the fish's belly begins to show fullness, you may observe it bend it's body from side to side once or twice, using it's muscular body to adjust the food in it's stomach to allow for more space, the same way you would over-pack a suitcase.

In nature:
Being opportunistic predators in their natural habitat, bichirs need to eat all they can when they can. Because they use a lot of muscle to swim, they have a high energy cost to move around and hunt.

If the fish happens upon a large meal, either a fish carcass or some other chance opportunity for a large meal, the bichirs make the best of it by stuffing in as much food as they can.

In the aquarium:
Only the bichirs that are well settled into the aquarium environment, with voracious appetites will display this behavior. Because they don't need to work as hard to get their food, they may become obese if the aquarist does not control how much they are fed daily

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store