Heros severus aka "Red Tiger Severum" aka "Rio Curare" from Wetspot?

aquaticeye

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
May 16, 2016
Here are all four of them in their QT eating away 12 hours after acclimating them to their new surroundings

2016-06-15 17.58.55.jpg

Reactions: peathenster

aquaticeye

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
May 16, 2016
They look great! Hope they all grow up to be big and plump!

The 4x that I got 2 weeks ago have still been going strong! No signs of any illness. Waiting to give it a full month though.

mrrobxc

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Nov 29, 2012
SE PA
Interesting that they are all succumbing to ich. Ich rarely seems to have such high mortality rates IME. This strain of ich must be something else. In wish everyone luck that their fish pull through.

aquaticeye

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
May 16, 2016
Interesting that they are all succumbing to ich. Ich rarely seems to have such high mortality rates IME. This strain of ich must be something else. In wish everyone luck that their fish pull through.
Yeah I was worried about that so put my guys into QT. It's been about 2.5 weeks now and so far all good. No signs of any illness! I'll probably move them into my main tank in another week :)

Reactions: mrrobxc

jamntoast

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 8, 2014
winnipeg
definitely some questions with this batch. i bought mine (4 of them) at a different source but they were also labeled as "red tiger sev" so i'm thinking they may have been from the same breeder. all of mine have the proper half bar, and when i was looking at them in the tank i didnt notice any with a screwy bar. i also didnt have the issues with ich like some of you had, but mine refused to eat in the beginning. i went through metro once and got 2 of them eating well and quickly out paced the smaller two. i probably waited longer than i should have before treating them again, i thought they were just being out competed for food but the smaller 2 are only just starting to put on size now. i'm a little worried they will be stunted but hopefully i will at least be able to get a pair and some fry and then i can get the pick of the litter.

aquaticeye

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
May 16, 2016
Spoke too soon! Though none of the guys have shown signs of ich, but 3 of the 4 are clearly smaller and not eating as well as the big brother of the lot. One doesn't even attempt to nibble at the NLS pellets.

The biggest is voracious and hits the pellets like a truck. One nibbles here and there. And a couple hover in the middle part of the water column despite food floating past their face.

I'm thinking of treating with metro like many have here. Would greatly appreciate advice on what brand you used and how you dosed / mixed the medication. Thanks so much!

aquaticeye

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
May 16, 2016
Just as an update, I still have one big guy that eats EVERYTHING and is growing quickly, but I am not so sure my 3x small guys have any illnesses. I think the smaller 3 are just picky eaters. They attack blood worms but pellets they are not touching. I bought some NLS Thera-A pellets and will see if they eat those (enhanced with garlic so may be more palatable).

How's everyone else's red tigers doing?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store