Stingray is being TOO PLAYFUL

Tig Phish

Aimara
MFK Member
Sep 4, 2015
Deez Nutz
So my male stingray is just being too playful. When I moved him into the 270, for the first few weeks he would literally "Superman" near the flow output. I rly wish I captured it on video. He would "fly" in the tank in the same spot for a few minutes at a time. BUT now he's covering the intake strainers with his body, if I didnt come down to the basement in time and push him off he would have burnt out my pump and flooded my tank. I caught him doing it again 30 minutes later, and this time when I push him off the bastard spit in my face. Not splash, but legitimately spitted in my face with great aim and accuracy. I rly dont know what to do u guys, hes a great ray but such a trouble maker. He just shed his 2nd stinger today too, maybe hes acting out cuz he thinks hes older now? I have 2 of those strainers, 2.5" each.

Lifegard-Aquatics-Low-Profile-Strainer-1-Inch-MPT-1.jpg

SHARK13

Aimara
MFK Member
Oct 29, 2012
My male marble likes to "cup" over my overflow box, and stop the flow sometimes... I get peace of mind hearing my overflow falling, so it's no surprise the first time he did it and everytime he does it now I stop whatever I'm doing and check on it... he only stops it for a few seconds though.

First time he did it I was asleep on the couch and I woke up thinking the power went out, I was super confused because some of the lights were still on... took a few moments to register what happened. Then he hopped off and the water started flowing again...

As far as the spitting goes... you are on your own there... never been spat on lol

Woefulrelic

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Dec 7, 2013
NJ
My black hybrid will spray all of the water out of the tank if I let her. If my glass tops are off by more than .5" the ground will be covered when I come down in the morning.

jim barry

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jun 21, 2006
U.K
Build some kind of egg crate boxes and put these around your strainers, it may help to make the foot print of the strainers larger, or at least lessen the vacuum caused by strainers which is what the ray may enjoy being sucked against.
I had a ray used to spit 6 feet across the room at me!
Good luck

Reactions: SHARK13

Tig Phish

Aimara
MFK Member
Sep 4, 2015
Deez Nutz
Build some kind of egg crate boxes and put these around your strainers, it may help to make the foot print of the strainers larger, or at least lessen the vacuum caused by strainers which is what the ray may enjoy being sucked against.
I had a ray used to spit 6 feet across the room at me!
Good luck
Yeah my dad informed me this morning my pump was almost running dry due to the ray being a perv and enjoying the suction on his body. Going with ur idea of building an egg crate box, but suggestions on securing it? Suction cups?

Reactions: convict360

KNH

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jun 12, 2005
OH...IO
My black hybrid will spray all of the water out of the tank if I let her. If my glass tops are off by more than .5" the ground will be covered when I come down in the morning.
One of mine has sprayed water 4' straight up and soaked my ceiling a few times and she is still a pup lol

flukekiller

Piranha
MFK Member
Aug 2, 2014
gloucester, va 23061
It's not the prettiest look but I did mine like this

20160621_040258.jpg

Jobu28

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2013
NC
I would say egg crate and plastic zip ties. My one ray spits at my wife all the time. I think its funny, but it soaks my wall lol

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store