Coming in tomorrow. Red Faced Johanna's

mrrobxc

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Nov 29, 2012
SE PA
Haven't seen these around in a very long time.

Picked up all four that came in. Two males and two females. Hopefully can score a pair.

Location wasn't listed but given the red in the face and greenish hue on the body, they appear to be the Peru type that some calm the Anushua Pike.

Please let me know if anyone can confirm.

They come in tomorrow. Couldn't pass them up even if it meant selling off my satanoperca to make space.

Zebrina were moved into my 180 with my wild red discus.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

mrrobxc

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Nov 29, 2012
SE PA

crenicichla444

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 24, 2013
Michigan
Definitely a Peru Johanna variant. Has a bit of red but IMO even though they're recently imported not nearly as nice as rio negro Johanna. Could be anashua we need to see how the red develops...

Reactions: mrrobxc

mrrobxc

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Nov 29, 2012
SE PA
I cons
Definitely a Peru Johanna variant. Has a bit of red but IMO even though they're recently imported not nearly as nice as rio negro Johanna. Could be anashua we need to see how the red develops...
I considered the negro Johanna when Jeff got them in but they were more a burgundy red...almost brownish....the red didn't seem as intense. Could be wrong. Either way, I'm hoping these turn out amazing.

crenicichla444

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 24, 2013
Michigan
I cons

I considered the negro Johanna when Jeff got them in but they were more a burgundy red...almost brownish....the red didn't seem as intense. Could be wrong. Either way, I'm hoping these turn out amazing.
Those rio negro Johanna get amazingly red as they grow. I've seen brownish juveniles like you're describing almost burgundy develop red patterning running across the full length of the upper half of the fish. Either way yours look beautiful and they're fresh imports. Can't go wrong as they settle in and look better. They're not a black water Johanna. Same water type as your old cinctas. Whatever u did for them to get them to spawn I highly suggest doing the same for these...

mrrobxc

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Nov 29, 2012
SE PA
Those rio negro Johanna get amazingly red as they grow. I've seen brownish juveniles like you're describing almost burgundy develop red patterning running across the full length of the upper half of the fish. Either way yours look beautiful and they're fresh imports. Can't go wrong as they settle in and look better. They're not a black water Johanna. Same water type as your old cinctas. Whatever u did for them to get them to spawn I highly suggest doing the same for these...
I will definitely try. In surprised Johanna don't command the same price as atabapo. They are so much harder to come by now whereas everyone has atabapo.

crenicichla444

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 24, 2013
Michigan
I will definitely try. In surprised Johanna don't command the same price as atabapo. They are so much harder to come by now whereas everyone has atabapo.
Yep. Remember when they were $12 a pop for babies at my lfs. Should've bought more back in the day. They don't get the intense red like atabapo I but they do get different colors and are easier to spawn. They have different behavior etc. think that Peru tightened up exports for awhile and Columbia loosened up and that's what caused the shift lol

jan

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jan 4, 2009
norway
Haven't seen these around in a very long time.

Picked up all four that came in. Two males and two females. Hopefully can score a pair.

Location wasn't listed but given the red in the face and greenish hue on the body, they appear to be the Peru type that some calm the Anushua Pike.

Please let me know if anyone can confirm.

They come in tomorrow. Couldn't pass them up even if it meant selling off my satanoperca to make space.

Zebrina were moved into my 180 with my wild red discus.

View attachment 1190732

View attachment 1190733
they were great,keep us updated,really liked them.

mrrobxc

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Nov 29, 2012
SE PA
They came in. Here are the pics.

Overall, everything went smooth and I would purchase from Raymond Chan aka Amazing Fish again. This was my first order and he was very responsive throughout the transaction and shipped the fish same day airport to airport.

They range in size from 9 to 12 inches and are adolescent fish with still lots of growing to do. The red on the face is amazing.

Sorry for the pics. This tank is dim due to all the cover from the emersed plants.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store