Hemichromis fasciatus/frempongi care info needed

Renegade Aquatics

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 24, 2016
Everett, WA
Since I plan on having one of these two Hemichromis species as a wet-pet for my 75, and I am having trouble finding any info on them. So those of you who keep or have kept either of these two species can chime in and tell what I need to do to keep this fish thriving in my care. However I will make it clear in stating I don't have the fish or the tank yet, but they are for sure going to be in my fishroom because I absolutely adore these fish.

5Spot Junkie

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Mar 19, 2010
Washington
www.facebook.com
Renegade,
I've kept H. Fasciatus since 2011 ish. If you're looking for 1 of them, it'll do just fine in a 75g. Had a pair in a 75g for a few years and they did best in a smaller tank.

Water parameters
Temp - 77-79 (Keep mine at 78)
PH: 7 - 7.7 (mine currently is 7.7)

Tank setup
Use sand - Can get sand really cheap at a rock quarry if you have one near. Make sure you ask for pool filter sand if you go this route. 100lbs of sand costs me $23. This sand is in my 180g and red 90g. They typically have white and natural. Went for the natural as white gets "dirty" so fast. Kinda like a car, looks dam good but, you can see everything.
Driftwood - I use malaysian. Got my first piece of Manzanita from Manzanita Burlworks (located in Cali). This piece is currently in my 180g.
Rocks - get some nice big rocks in there. Make sure the rocks don't affect PH. I use river rocks. You can also get these from a rock quarry.
Plants - My Hemichromis Fasciatus ripped all my plants up including anubus i had rooted to wood. I was only able to use floating plants.
Filtration - I run a canister and an AC110 on almost every tank. my 75s and 90g have either Cascade 1500's or Sunsun 304-b on them along with AC110. I'll probably pull the AC110's off my tanks with fry in them to add floating plants to keep nitrate lvls down. Probably add another can to help.

Hemichromis Fasciatus is 10 times more aggressive than Hemichromis Frempongi. If you end up getting H. Fasciatus first, H. Frempongi will be a walk in the park.

Hit me up if you have any other questions.

=)

Renegade Aquatics

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 24, 2016
Everett, WA
Renegade,
I've kept H. Fasciatus since 2011 ish. If you're looking for 1 of them, it'll do just fine in a 75g. Had a pair in a 75g for a few years and they did best in a smaller tank.

Water parameters
Temp - 77-79 (Keep mine at 78)
PH: 7 - 7.7 (mine currently is 7.7)

Tank setup
Use sand - Can get sand really cheap at a rock quarry if you have one near. Make sure you ask for pool filter sand if you go this route. 100lbs of sand costs me $23. This sand is in my 180g and red 90g. They typically have white and natural. Went for the natural as white gets "dirty" so fast. Kinda like a car, looks dam good but, you can see everything.
Driftwood - I use malaysian. Got my first piece of Manzanita from Manzanita Burlworks (located in Cali). This piece is currently in my 180g.
Rocks - get some nice big rocks in there. Make sure the rocks don't affect PH. I use river rocks. You can also get these from a rock quarry.
Plants - My Hemichromis Fasciatus ripped all my plants up including anubus i had rooted to wood. I was only able to use floating plants.
Filtration - I run a canister and an AC110 on almost every tank. my 75s and 90g have either Cascade 1500's or Sunsun 304-b on them along with AC110. I'll probably pull the AC110's off my tanks with fry in them to add floating plants to keep nitrate lvls down. Probably add another can to help.

Hemichromis Fasciatus is 10 times more aggressive than Hemichromis Frempongi. If you end up getting H. Fasciatus first, H. Frempongi will be a walk in the park.

Hit me up if you have any other questions.

=)
Ahhh just who I hoped would chime in :)
thanks a lot for the all the info

5Spot Junkie

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Mar 19, 2010
Washington
www.facebook.com
I strongly agree! I should have fry ready In 2 weeks or so

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com