Don't get a glass shop to build your tank

FESHMAN

Polypterus
MFK Member
Sep 14, 2015
Q8
I needed a replacement tank for my main display tank which had a crack in it, decided to get a custom made glass tank. It was bigger than any manufactured one that I can find, and I can have the exact measurements that I want.

So I go to a glass shop (you know the ones that make windows and glass doors and stuff) , I ask the worker if he even knows what I'm talking about before I ask him about the prices. He says that he knows and have built tanks before. So I give him the measurements(122cm*45cm*55cm), and he advised me to go for 8mm glass. I felt confident and went for it , and for only 70 bucks, why shouldn't I do it right?
After a couple of days I call him and he tells me it's ready. I drive to him and pick it up them went home. The silicone job was I little bit messy but no big deal.

I let it cure for a week before washing it with dettol, for I didn't know what kind of silicone did he use.
I rinsed it I couple of times to make sure there were no chemical residue left. Then I fill the tank half full and transfer my fish from the drum to their new tank. Every thing was fine, the silicone didn't appear to harm the fish, they looked happy in their new tank. So I decided to go shopping for fish to reward myself for all the hard work. I grabbed some rams to put in my discus tank, grabbed some rainbows, some larger angels, some Duboisi which I wanted for a long time, maybe some tetras I don't remember. I bought at least a hundred bucks worth of fish.(I'm talking in US dollars)

I go home, temp. acclimate, dump the fish in tank. At that time I decided to top the water a little bit, but still there was like 10cm (~4inch) left empty, and I left it like that.
All of that (me buying fish) was three days ago. Today morning I decided to do a water change on the discus tank and top off the new tank while I'm at it, and I did just that. Then I did some arranging and cleaning.
You know that feeling of accomplishment you get after you get some work done? I was feeling like that, and man it feels good! Also because I had other stuff done around the house. So I settle down for some nice breakfast, then I decided to take a nap after all the hard work.

At nearly 1pm, I woke up to my sister knocking my door yelling at me. I only heard "tank" "water" "basement". So I rush down to see what the hell is happening! And. The whole floor is flooded with glass pieces everywhere! Fish scattered all thoughout the floor, a fish in the living room a couple near the bathroom, one in the kitchen, even some went to the basement, It was a disaster. I quickly grabbed a bucket, scooped some water from the discus tank, and started picking up the terrified fishes. Gladly no one got hurt by that. I lost quite a few fishes but the majority survived to tell the story to their posterity.

I'm sorry I turned that into a novel, I hope somebody learned a thing or two, if not, I hope you enjoyed my , are you still reading?!, and thanks for taking time to read this. ; )

Last edited:

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
I needed a replacement tank for my main display tank which had a crack in it, decided to get a custom made glass tank. It was bigger than any manufactured one that I can find, and I can have the exact measurements that I want.

So I go to a glass shop (you know the ones that make windows and glass doors and stuff) , I ask the worker if he even knows what I'm talking about before I ask him about the prices. He says that he knows and have built tanks before. So I give him the measurements(122cm*45cm*55cm), and he advised me to go for 8mm glass. I felt confident and went for it , and for only 70 bucks, why shouldn't I do it right?
After a couple of days I call him and he tells me it's ready. I drive to him and pick it up them went home. The silicone job was I little bit messy but no big deal.

I let it cure for a week before washing it with dettol, for I didn't know what kind of silicone did he use.
I rinsed it I couple of times to make sure there were no chemical residue left. Then I fill the tank half full and transfer my fish from the drum to their new tank. Every thing was fine, the silicone didn't appear to harm the fish, they looked happy in their new tank. So I decided to go shopping for fish to reward myself for all the hard work. I grabbed some rams to put in my discus tank, grabbed some rainbows, some larger angels, some Duboisi which I wanted for a long time, maybe some tetras I don't remember. I bought at least a hundred bucks worth of fish.(I'm talking in US dollars)

I go home, temp. acclimate, dump the fish in tank. At that time I decided to top the water a little bit, but still there was like 10cm (~4inch) left empty, and I left it like that.
All of that (me buying fish) was three days ago. Today morning I decided to do a water change on the discus tank and top off the new tank while I'm at it, and I did just that. Then I did some arranging and cleaning.
You know that feeling of accomplishment you get after you get some work done? I was feeling like that, and man it feels good! Also because I had other stuff done around the house. So I settle down for some nice breakfast, then I decided to take a nap after all the hard work.

At nearly 1pm, I woke up to my sister knocking my door yelling at me. I only heard "tank" "water" "basement". So I rush down to see what the hell is happening! And. The whole floor is flooded with glass pieces everywhere! Fish scattered all thoughout the floor, a fish in the living room a couple near the bathroom, one in the kitchen, even some went to the basement, It was a disaster. I quickly grabbed a bucket, scooped some water from the discus tank, and started picking up the terrified fishes. Gladly no one got hurt by that. I lost quite a few fishes but the majority survived to tell the story to their posterity.

I'm sorry I turned that into a novel, I hope somebody learned a thing or two, if not, I hope you enjoyed my , are you still reading?!, and thanks for taking time to read this. ; )
That is very messed up, to bad you had to go through that.

FESHMAN

Polypterus
MFK Member
Sep 14, 2015
Q8
Bummer, what kind of warranty or guarantee did they give you?
None, it was a casual glass shop, they don't specialize it building aquariums.

Ihsnshaik

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Aug 20, 2015
Windy CIty
None, it was a casual glass shop, they don't specialize it building aquariums.
Must be some type of cheaper glass not all glass are the same especially for tank building. It's an assumption I could be wrong but it could just be a seal gave out

FESHMAN

Polypterus
MFK Member
Sep 14, 2015
Q8
Must be some type of cheaper glass not all glass are the same especially for tank building. It's an assumption I could be wrong but it could just be a seal gave out
I don't think it was the glass's fault, we use it for windows and it's 8mm. I think it was the cheap silicone and the unexperienced job. The glass was tough, two panels didn't get damage. Also I think that the tank wasn't square enough to hold water, maybe he didn't use a right angle ruler or something, I don't know.

FESHMAN

Polypterus
MFK Member
Sep 14, 2015
Q8
That's to bad, did you tell them what happened?
No, I don't think that anything will come out of talking to them. It is my fault that I underestimated the work it needs to get a tank done. They are a glass shop not a custom aquarium store. maybe next time I'll just get the glass from them I build a tank myself ,the glass alone only costs 50 bucks cut and prepared, I have watched Joey's videos and now I'm a trained professional.

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
Good luck then.

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
No, I don't think that anything will come out of talking to them. It is my fault that I underestimated the work it needs to get a tank done. They are a glass shop not a custom aquarium store. maybe next time I'll just get the glass from them I build a tank myself ,the glass alone only costs 50 bucks cut and prepared, I have watched Joey's videos and now I'm a trained professional.
Then they should not have led you to believe thay they were capable of taking on the job,at the very least you should be reimbursed for what you paid for the tank.Did they at least place a top and bottom frame on the tank?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store