GMO Cichlid Discussion

NotablySardonic

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 26, 2016
Cut-N-Shoot, Texas
I found a pretty interesting little fish today at the fish store. It was unlabled and in a 'relinquishment" tank.

The guy in there refered to it as an Electric Blue Texas Cichlid. That was a product of selective breeding and genetic modification.

Honestly, that doesn't appeal to me. I enjoy nature.. That's why I love aquaria in the first place. But it is absolutely stunning even as a fry. Also, his fins are torn up and the water didn't look like the best quality.. And i can't stand that. I never could. So i pulled the trigger and spent 25 bucks on a tiny fish.

I currently have 7 Green Texas Cichlids ranging from around 5-13 inches. Obviously, he would be food in there immediately.. So he's in a 30gal for now. I'll post pictures on here.

Anyone have any experience with these beauties? Or a similar story involving success? I've seen a ton of acara and jd with the heavy blue but not Texas. Being from Texas myself, i was so drawn to it.

20160725_234811.jpg

moe214

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Oct 13, 2014
Never seen a texas by that name, but this is the wrong section, you'll likely get more replies in the cichlid forum, from there there are sub forums for sa and ca cichlids.

Deadliestviper7

The Necromancer
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2016
As far as Gmo cichlids go have u checked out glow in the dark convicts? They may hit the market soon

dogofwar

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 3, 2006
Maryland
www.capitalcichlids.org
Looks like a regular H. carpintis ("Texas cichlid") to me.

Keeping fish in glass boxes is inherently unnatural.

Fancy fish - developed by man to be different than what's found in nature - have been the foundation of the aquarium hobby since there's been an aquarium hobby: fancy koi, goldfish, bettas, livebearers, oscars, angelfish, discus, etc, etc, etc. These are no different.

Matt

I found a pretty interesting little fish today at the fish store. It was unlabled and in a 'relinquishment" tank.

The guy in there refered to it as an Electric Blue Texas Cichlid. That was a product of selective breeding and genetic modification.

Honestly, that doesn't appeal to me. I enjoy nature.. That's why I love aquaria in the first place. But it is absolutely stunning even as a fry. Also, his fins are torn up and the water didn't look like the best quality.. And i can't stand that. I never could. So i pulled the trigger and spent 25 bucks on a tiny fish.

I currently have 7 Green Texas Cichlids ranging from around 5-13 inches. Obviously, he would be food in there immediately.. So he's in a 30gal for now. I'll post pictures on here.

Anyone have any experience with these beauties? Or a similar story involving success? I've seen a ton of acara and jd with the heavy blue but not Texas. Being from Texas myself, i was so drawn to it.

View attachment 1195206

Pomatomus

Piranha
MFK Member
Jul 7, 2009
Sarasota, FL
This fish does not look genetically modified to me. Where did they say they took the DNA from? I see nothing on the internet about GMO texas cichlids. What did they say they modified?

I think someone just didn't know what they were talking about and wanted to sell you the fish. Electric blue cichlids are just selectively bred - not GMO.

However I have seen GMO angelfish. They are like GloFish. The ones I saw were purple. The coloration comes from cnidarians such as corals and sea anemones.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store