DIY setup ( thoughts and opinions)

PatrickMW36

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 16, 2016
Chicago
Ive been thinking a lot about what type of setup I want to make. The 3 options Ive been looking into all have pros and cons. Acrylic tank,Plywood tank and Indoor pond. My plan is to build one of them with approx dimensions of 3.5 W 5.5 L 1.7 H ( ft ) this would be about 245 gal. My dad does wood working and knows how to build / fix anything. he has any tool needed to make either setup. so tools and know how wont be an issue.
Pond: this would be the easiest option. I would build a wooden frame then buy a liner. the big issue with me is that i really enjoy being able to watch my fish. While the pond is easy and cost effective i just really dont like the lack of viewing.
Acrylic: This would give me good viewing. but also the most expensive option. Also Ive noticed either people love these or hate them.
Plywood: This seems to be the most likely/safest option. Not as cheap as pond but cheaper than acrylic. good viewing etc..
I JUST WANTED TO GET YOUR GUYS OPINIONS AND EXPERIENCES BUILDING SIMILAR PROJECTS. LET ME KNOW HOW THEY WENT. WHAT WOULD YOU DO? - thanks

Brent419

Candiru
MFK Member
Oct 2, 2014
Toledo OH
I agree with you on the pond. I enjoy sitting and viewing my fish and set up from the front.

I have looked into to plywood builds and they certainly interest me but from what I have read, not really worth the cost until you go considerably larger.

For what a 245g plywood would cost, you might find a same size or even larger tank on CL.

celebrist

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 7, 2013
alaska
That's good advice on cost benefit with plywood tanks so I think 1000+ and a nice build thread :)

PatrickMW36

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 16, 2016
Chicago
I agree with you on the pond. I enjoy sitting and viewing my fish and set up from the front.

I've kept an eye out for tanks on CL and there's never anything good or cheap. My area isn't the type to have a lot of fish tanks.

I have looked into to plywood builds and they certainly interest me but from what I have read, not really worth the cost until you go considerably larger.

For what a 245g plywood would cost, you might find a same size or even larger tank on CL.

PatrickMW36

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 16, 2016
Chicago
I'm not sure why my comment didn't post. But yea I've looked around on CL there's rarely anything good and most is quite expensive.

Brent419

Candiru
MFK Member
Oct 2, 2014
Toledo OH
I have also had problems finding something worthwhile (in my price range) on Craigslist which is why is started looking into plywood builds. Don't give up! After much searching I found a 220 gallon dirt cheap due to a cracked side panel. It came with a free 180 gallon (also with a cracked side panel). During the same week I also acquired a 135 (also cracked panel) with a beautiful stand for free!! I'll have to salvage 1 of the tanks to get the glass to fix the other two. keep searching. Use different ways to spell what you are looking for (i.e. Fish tank, fishtank, fish-tank).. Also look for local facebook groups(this is how I got the 135). I had all my search results sent to me via email so anytime anything popped up in my radius I was willing to travel, I immediately knew about it! If you keep looking and stay determined, you will find something great!

Niners4952

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 17, 2016
I built a 600 gallon plywood tank and I will never build anything else, its fairly simple and cheap compared to glass plus its easy to add piping etc. cause you can screw to it. I would really think about building something bigger, if you only want 245 gallons I would get a used 220, 25 less gallons put a popular size. If your going to build a plywood tank go as big as you can cause the cost difference is not much, I built my 600 for maybe $100-$200 more then I could build a 300

Rawhidesabi

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2016
North Olmsted, Ohio
check the new posts. i just seen a 180 gal acrylic on this site in illinois for 400 bucks. i actually got my 265 from a store after its seem gave out for 400 as well. keep an eye out

ShanerBock888

Aimara
MFK Member
Apr 9, 2016
Warwick, NY
I built a 600 gallon plywood tank and I will never build anything else, its fairly simple and cheap compared to glass plus its easy to add piping etc. cause you can screw to it. I would really think about building something bigger, if you only want 245 gallons I would get a used 220, 25 less gallons put a popular size. If your going to build a plywood tank go as big as you can cause the cost difference is not much, I built my 600 for maybe $100-$200 more then I could build a 300
+1 I'm in the process of building a 600 gal, about to put the glass in. 100% customizable which is great, and I'm building mine into a wall, which is easy to do with a plywood build. My plan started out as a 300 gallon tank, but after drawing up my plans and pricing out materials I realized that I could double the size of the tank for just a couple hundred more, so I just went for it. But if you're going smaller than 300, then take Brent's approach and just patiently keep an eye on craigslist. But if I were you I'd just build a bigger plywood tank. It's really fun, rewarding and you can make EXACTLY what you want

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store