Mike's 45 gallon planted tank, continuation of my 30 gallon

xxUnRaTeDxxRkOxx

Candiru
MFK Member
Jul 10, 2011
Denver, CO.
Just ordered 5 dwarf sag, and 1 broadleaf sag (all they had was 1 lol) for the tank, then tomorrow I'll be ordering a 48" T5HO Quad 4x54w light fixture!!! Then tomorrow the Amano Shrimp are supposed to arrive, and the Jungle Vals are on the way!!! Finally going to get the tank algae free, now all I need to do is buy a couple specific bulbs for the light and also invest in an automated co2 system!!!! Oh and get more flourite substrate for the tank to give it more depth!!!!

xxUnRaTeDxxRkOxx

Candiru
MFK Member
Jul 10, 2011
Denver, CO.
So I went to order the T5HO quad light and they are't carrying the one I want anymore so I order a 48" Evo 6500k LED fixture for the time being... Really bummed about the T5HO because I really like using specific spectrum bulbs for my planted tanks, but I'll use the EVO LED for the time being and will use the 36" T5HO fixture with the LED until I can find a T5HO quad that I like.

So now I just need to swap out bulbs in the 36" T5HO from 6500k to a 36" wp ultra growth wave bulb, and a giesmann aqua flora bulb...

xxUnRaTeDxxRkOxx

Candiru
MFK Member
Jul 10, 2011
Denver, CO.
Ok so the jungle vals came in today, and there was alot!!!! Unfortunately the Amano Shrimp were dispatched to the wrong post office here in Denver, but they were returned to the main facility to send them to the right post office for delivery tomorrow...

I plan to let the shrimp clear out the remaining hair algae when I cleaned up the tank to make room for the jungle vals, there was around a tennis ball size of hair algae I took out of the tank lol. But there's still some left over for the shrimp to feed on!!!

The Evo LED fixture should be here on Friday, and the only PAR data I could find for it says it has a PAR of 65 at 17" from the substrate which is high light so I'll be figuring out a way to suspend it 4" above the tank to give me around 48 PAR!

xxUnRaTeDxxRkOxx

Candiru
MFK Member
Jul 10, 2011
Denver, CO.
So the Amano Shrimp are coming today!!!! Can't wait to finally get this algae battle to come to an end!!! The 48" Evo LED is scheduled to come in tomorrow, I'm excited if you can't tell lol!!! I made sure to add a couple of catappa (indian almond) leaves to the tank earlier this week to help lower the PH a bit, and as they decay they also provide food for the shrimp!!!

Been a white since I've had a nice planted tank, but finally putting one together! Just missing a co2 injection system and then I'm on my way lol!!!

xxUnRaTeDxxRkOxx

Candiru
MFK Member
Jul 10, 2011
Denver, CO.
So the 48" Beamswork Evo LED is on it's way whenever UPS delivers it to my door lol!!! Here's the 6500k LED wavelength it has...

It matches up with the chlorophyll peaks...

It's one hell of an LED fixture for planted tanks, I'll be modifying it next month with 90* white lenses for a better spread of the light beams to cover a wider area of the tank. With the wavelength it puts out there's no reason for me to upgrade the 36" T5HO bulbs to the ultra growth wave, which is good because I plan to turn my 30 gallon tank back into another planted tank in the future once I get the 45 finished up but that won't be til next year...

The Evo LED is known for turning some plants a nice dark red color which is awesome I can finally get some ludwigia repens to finally grow in my tank!!!! I might give dwarf hair grass another try after I get a co2 injection system!!!

xxUnRaTeDxxRkOxx

Candiru
MFK Member
Jul 10, 2011
Denver, CO.
Ok so the light fixture was delivered, and is setup on my tank!!! So my first thoughts of this fixture....

Seems well built, penetrates the water all the way to the bottom with ease, and so far I like it... Once I set it up, and turned it on within a few minutes my plants started pearling which is always a good sign!!! So now it's the waiting game to see how I really feel about this light fixture, if it doesn't go down in a week I'd really be impressed because I'm not a fan of LED fixtures on planted tanks as I'm a T5HO guy to the bone, but if it holds up I'll be changing how I feel about LED fixtures...

xxUnRaTeDxxRkOxx

Candiru
MFK Member
Jul 10, 2011
Denver, CO.
So far I'm pretty happy with the Evo 6500k LED, my riccia has really started taking off with lots of pearling!!!! The jungle vals are doing good, my order of dwarf sag should be in tomorrow and with the current plants doing really well under the new LED lighting then the dwarf sag should really take off and make a nice carpet!!!!!

I've never had enough success of any carpet plants, so I'm hoping with the new lighting to change that, and if the dwarf sag does good then for christmas I'm investing in a co2 injection system, and then try some dwarf hairgrass!!!!

Reactions: Wailua Boy

xxUnRaTeDxxRkOxx

Candiru
MFK Member
Jul 10, 2011
Denver, CO.
Here's a couple pics of the tank... The moss that's attached to the driftwood branches is majorly covered with riccia fluitans and that's what looks like a monster algae "ball" in the pictures!!! I had a small 4"x4" portion of riccia floating my tank to begin with, and I just left it alone and some of the pieces came loose and now that's what my tank looks like lol!!!

I'll be removing some of the riccia, and selling it locally here in a couple days...

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store